Service & Maintenance 05' Hatchback rumbling and replacing parts.

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by TheGreatDane, Friday 19th Feb, 2016.

1. TheGreatDane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andreas A Leeds
    Hi there,

I posted quite a while back when I was looking at getting a new car. I was eyeing two Civic's, and I decided on one. First of all, thanks to everyone who gave me feedback and tips on what to choose. I will have pictures up of the beauty this weekend, but I want to give it a nice makeover first. I invested in a K&N Air Filter, and some high quality car cleaning products.
    I bought this car used, and it's run just over 86000 Miles, so it's no new car.
    The car is almost perfect, drives great, but there are some small things I want to potentially get fixed.

- I am getting some rumbling when driving. As far as I have read, it might have to do with tyre pressure or alignment. I am guessing the former I can do myself this weekend, to make sure everything checks out, but I wanted to ping this out here to see what people might think.​

- What things should I look to replace (Air Filter's being done as mentioned), and how many of those could I potentially do myself?​

- The AC is sometimes giving off a bit of a whistling noise, nothing significant, and I think it has to do with some worn parts on the compressor. I have looked at some guides as to how I can replace parts, but I think it might be a bit too big of a job, so how much would I be looking at to get this fixed?

- I think the power plug is slightly dodgy, as the little 3-port USB plug I got in there needs certain sweet spots to get power. What's the cost/difficulty of replacing it?
    Again thanks to everyone who helped me on my decision with the car. As mentioned, I will get it in the garage and add some pictures this weekend after it's all cleaned up!

Cheers

2. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
  3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    • What state are the tyres in? Might be worth rotating them see if the noises goes away or changes
    • Air filter, oil filter, oil, cabin filter, check washer fluid, check tyres and brakes, check spare tyre, check coolant and maybe change gearbox oil. I always give engine bay a good clean as well when I first get a car.
    • Your A/C system may just need topping up. Take it somewhere where they do A/C.
    • Shouldn't be too difficult to replace the 12v socket

Nighthawk likes this.
  4. TheGreatDane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I got the two front tires replaced before I bought the car. The back tires are not new, but they still have some life left in them.
    How difficult are the different filters other than the air filter to replace? Is it doable on my own without massive amounts of tools etc?
    I'll have a look into getting the AC topped up!

Thank you for your reply!

5. TheGreatDane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Update: Just installed a K/N Air Filter. One thing I noticed though, is that unlike the old air filter, it does not have the catch that catches the screw (see picture) is this something to be concerned about?

20160220_141410.

6. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Nothing to be concerned about - the pressure of the top of the filter casing being screwed down will keep it safe.

Got a few DIY's from my missus Civic - your picture looks like its a D16V1 engine as well - is your car the 1600 engine?

As @SpeedyGee says, change all your filters. Oil filter is easy to change, fuel filter isnt too bad either but I wouldn't recommend doing it yourself if you don't have previous mechanical experience as it is a bit daunting for someone if they are not overally experienced (I am making an assumption here based on your initial opening post so please correct me if I am wrong - Hondas design of its location still baffles me). If it was me, I would change all the filters, don't forget your pollen filter too, really easy to change, change all your fluid, coolant included and brake fluid and check the condition of your brakes and change them as necessary. Change your plugs too. Both @RogerH69 and myself have quite a few guides within our car logs and seperate DIYs, take a browse in them and see if they help at all.

Changing your 12v cigarette lighter socket is incredibly easy to do - unscrew gearbox knob, unclip surrounding, unclip cigarette lighter, remove and install in reverse. I think I have pictures of it on my car log somewhere

don't assumptions about the A/C - its a bit of a minefield - I would get it pressure tested etc to ensure there are no leaks etc. My missus EP2 aircon has just stopped working but I know that its due to a seal going into the condensor which is leaking - @Beefy pointed it out to me when he was doing the clutch on it. I will get it changed towards summer.

Other than that, she will be just fine and will purr like a little kitten afterwards

7. TheGreatDane Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Great stuff. Thanks. What price would I be looking at for changing oil and fuel filters? I am mostly daunted by replacing the oil filter and fuel filter myself, the rest I think I can do easily. I would probably buy the filters myself and just hire someone to replace them. As for the A/C, that's something I have yet to look into!

8. Nighthawk Guest

The oil filter is really easy to change, it is the same as changing virtually any petrol oil filter. With the upmost amount of respect to you, if you feel daunted changing the oil filter, the fuel filter should be left for someone else to do.

Here is the guide for changing the fuel filter for your information to see the level of skill needed
    http://hondakarma.com/guides/changing-fuel-filter.1354/

You can buy OEM fuel and oil filters for somewhere around £50 in total I think it was - got the receipts, Il pull them out later if I remember. Get a new crush washer and sump plug at the same time - costs pennies

Try to keep OEM parts if you can, Hondas really don't like aftermarket filters in general - its 0-20w oil too

9. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    Yay another Civic. Congrats !! Goods to hear she's in such good condition. I haven't changed any filters, except for the pollen filter for the aircon, and that was really easy (I think I wrote a guide on it. Yup - http://hondakarma.com/guides/remove-and-replace-pollen-filter.1057/).

As above, the cigarette lighter is REALLY easy to replace, as it just pops out of the console trim. Please make sure you turn off the ignition before doing it though :Smile:. Removing the console trim is really easy too. If you don't have trim removal tools, then I find the easiest is to grab the bit of the gear lever trim just below the gear knob (you'll feel it's hard plastic under the gear gaitor). Pull this bit down the gear lever to pop it out of the gear knob. Unscrew the gear knob. This gives you a bit of play in the gear gaitor. Now, hook your fingers under the console trim through the gear gaitor, and pull the console trim towards you carefully. The clips holding the trim in should start popping out quite easily. Once you have part of the trim free, you can grab behind the trim edges with one hand to help get the rest of the clips loose. Be careful not to bend the trim too much or it may break. Remove the connectors from the rear of the hazard lights and the cigarette lighter, and then you can slide the console trim up over the gear lever, so you can remove the faulty cigarette lighter and replace it.

Just found a guide I made on how to change your gear knob and gaitor. This will show you how to remove the console trim to get at the lighter - http://hondakarma.com/guides/replacing-gear-knob-and-gear-gaiter.1055/

Please add your car to the club garage (http://hondakarma.com/threads/how-to-add-your-vehicle-to-the-club-garage.15966/live) so we can watch her progress and don't forget to include lots of pictures :Smile:
    - - - Updated - - -
    Not sure what you mean by rumbling when driving. To be honest, I'm a noob at this too, so the pros on here would be better suited in helping with that. I was a very lucky with my Civic as I didn't really have any issues with her (except for brakes from wear and tear).

Speaking of brakes - I had the calipers seize up on both of my rear brakes (not at same time). As your car is the same age as mine, I'd recommend getting all your calipers and brakes checked. On mine, the pins seized on both sides, and on the one side, the rubber seal on the caliper had perished, and was interfering with the caliper moving. On both occasions, I replaced the calipers (Halfords Auto Centre did one, and a mate and I did the other)
    - - - Updated - - -
    @Nighthawk / @SpeedyGee - I was tagged twice in this thread, and didn't receive notification on either of them. This seems to be happening more often recently. This a known issue ?

10. Nighthawk Guest

If memory serves me right mate, its one of those gremlins which pops up occassionally, a coding issue of some sort. As you know I am not staff anymore so don't know anything about developments anymore. I havent received notification of tags either

RogerH69 likes this.
  11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I've reported the tagging issue back to the boffins. :sherlock:

RogerH69 and Nighthawk like this.
  12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    It's a known bug, maybe the next (immenant) software update will fix it