Engine & Gearbox (07 i-VTEC ex) Clutch Groaning

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Utah, Wednesday 30th Jan, 2013.

1. Utah Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys

I'm new to this forum - this is my first post. I've owned a 2007 i-VTEC Ex Accord for approx 6 months. Its my first Honda after years with F*rd :Blushing:. Overall i've been very impressed with my car as it has all the kit I could ever wish for. Recently there has been a problem which appears to be coming from the clutch.

- This is not the clicking pedal fault, which i did have but cured with silicon spray.

When releasing the clutch and applying a little 'gas' there is a groaning noise coming from the clutch. Groaning is the best way i can describe it :Smile:. This doesn't happen all the time but I find it happens mostly when in start stop traffic. The clutch isn't slipping, I haven't experienced any other symptoms that would suggest a slipping clutch but hopefully someone on here can help:Wink:

2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi and welcome to AOC
    I am not sure on this one but i would think its something to do with clutch pressure plate.
    Wait for someone else who is a bit more clued up then me on this.

3. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Could it be the dual mass flywheel. My wife's Mini Cooper used to do this. What mileage?

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    i-VTEC's don't have dual mass flywheel, that's only on the diesels.

You describe it as "groaning", that's an odd noise to get from the clutch system. Are you sure it's coming from the clutch system ?
    It maybe the thrust/release bearing.

Is the handbrake correctly adjusted ? Just wondering if the groan is from the handbrake is too tight or you have a binding caliper somewhere.

Does it occur in any other gear apart from first ?

5. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    the noise may well be release bearing or preasure plate but could well be your flywheel. i have seen one replaced before (flywheel) due to run out, but was diagnosed as a vibration more than groan but it is this vibration that causes a noise so could well be a flywheel problem. can you replicate the problem quite easily? maybe have a decent garage take a listen but it sounds like you need the gearbox removed and inspect all the components. find out the costs of all the parts inc flywheel so you can be prepared for the price. at end of the day you have no need to rush as its just a noise at the moment. keep us posted on what you do next buddy

6. Utah Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the responses.

Drove into work this morning - 25mins in start/stop traffic. Happened twice this morn which is pretty good compared to other days.

It only happens when moving off in 1st gear - just at the 'bite' point....

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    As Beefy says it's just a noise at the moment, see what happens overtime. Might improve or go away as weather gets better.

8. Utah Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yeah I'll keep an eye on things and see how it goes...cheers

9. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Try the pedal without the engine running.

I have a similar occasional arthritic creak on my FR-V in town and was worried it was one of the faults listed, but it does it when the engine is not running so my best guess is it is the pedal/master cylinder.

Might be worth trying the grease again, although my local dealer insists this does not work!