General 0w-30 bargains?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zebster, Sunday 10th Apr, 2016.

1. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Can anyone point me towards any good deals on 0w-30 fully synthetic engine oils please... Best I'm finding at the moment is around £43 (delivered) for 6L of TripleQX from CarParts4Less (which is EuroCarParts in disguise).

Alternatively, does anyone know of a decent ECP discount/promo code? Edit - found a current 15% off ECP promo code, but that only then matches the CP4L price.

Cheers.

Last edited: Sunday 10th Apr, 2016
  2. Denso23 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Denso23 London
    exec and Zebster like this.
  3. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
  4. Denso23 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Denso23 London
    That's cool zebster. This oil is a pure synthetic, not a cheap imitation. I got this from the msds from the total website. Dec-1-ene is made from ethylene gas and this is the best basestock. Very stable image.

Zebster likes this.
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    How do you know its fully synthetic mate , there is a lot of hydro cracked oil marketed as FullySynth.
    FullySynth is expensive oil if it cheap you can be sure its not man made synthetic.

6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    It's a fair question and I am disappointed at how simple hydro-cracked oils such as Castrol Magnatec are allowed to be sold as FS, when most of us would disagree with describing it as such (and Magnatec was previously more accurately described as a Semi Synthetic until a few years ago).

In this case I simply did my research finding out exactly what this oil was before buying it... the information is readily available. It seems to me that most oil is actually massively over-priced, but if you look around (and take advice from others) it is possible to avoid being ripped off. For example the Lubetech stuff would have been even cheaper (per litre,) but is widely acknowledged to be an excellent top-class oil. I just didn't want a massive unwieldy drum of it that only comes in volumes that don't divide nicely by the 6L needed by the I-CTDI.

7. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The Lubetech drum is not that big really does a few oil changes and then leaves a litre or two for top ups I've just got my 3rd drum of it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    What's this 'top up' thing, lol? I simply stick in 6L and over the next 8 to 10k miles the level drops to about half way between min and max.

I've heard Lubetech oil is good stuff... Roughly how much is that per litre?

9. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    What do you do with the drum once its finished?

I personally just buy Shell Helix Ultra for £21 5 litres, hope thats not hydro-cracked!

10. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I think it is... It is a crude basestock product. Seems expensive?

11. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Hmmm, not got much choice so I will stick with it for now, its better than Castrol Magnatec I was using and cheaper, it works out roughly £4.2 per litre

12. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Yeah, Magnatec is pretty poor. I'm sure that Shell Helix exceeds the spec for your engine though.

Sorry @exec - I was assuming that was only 4L... I got used to buying Castrol Edge (an over-rated oil, in my opinion) in 4L containers! Just over £4 per litre isnt bad.

Last edited: Monday 11th Apr, 2016
    exec likes this.
  13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I used to pay £27 for 4ltr of Magnatec, I thought about trying Edge out (as all the fancy labels and terminology on it make it sound awesome) before I switched to Shell, glad I didn't, cost £37 for 4 litres! Castrol are like the glossy shiny product of the engine oil world.

14. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    12L of Total Quartz Energy 9000 0w-30 just received (and my oil filter too).

15. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

My 195k miler needs top ups doesn't use much leaks more lol. Never worked out the price per litre it's about £80 a drum delivered I think. It's just a plastic container I take it to the tip same with all empty oil containers and leave it where the waste oil collection is they have a bin for empty cans.

exec likes this.
  16. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

£80 for 20 litres usually about 60 for 6 litres of castrol edge so it's considerably cheaper. I've just bought low saps which is £90 but I can use it in the mini as well as mine.

17. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    couple of years ago I got 2 x "K24 service pack" consisting of Castrol Edge 0w-30 1x4litres + 2x1litres + oil filter
    for £105 (that's 12 litres of Castrol Edge and 2 oil filters)