Engine & Gearbox 1.4i Civic more kick than Accord?

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by slap-pop-karl, Tuesday 25th Sep, 2012.

1. slap-pop-karl Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all, I just bought a 2000 1.8 VTEC s. The 1.4i Civic (1997) I had seems to of had more kick than the Accord. The Accord seems to be more sluggish and won't seem to accelerate as fast as I hoped it would, as it is slower than the Civic.

Is this how they are, or is there something wrong with my car? Maybe a VTEC issue?

Thanks SPK

Last edited: Tuesday 25th Sep, 2012
  2. slap-pop-karl Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Okay, well I have researched a little bit and I have found it might be the solenoid needs cleaning or it needs an oil change.
    I will post my findings and the issue when I have found what the problem is for anyone else who might get this issue. (assuming this is a V-tec issue)

Thanks SPK

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Theres some videos on youtube on how to test the VTEC solenoid.

4. slap-pop-karl Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ahh thanks for the response, I was just going to clean her out, but if I am gonna take her off I might as well test her also.

I tried giving the car a boot today and I think I felt something, she had been for sale for a while and when I went to see her the sales man had to start her with a power pack, maybe she just needs a good run. Could sitting effect the V-tec?

Also I checked out stats for this car and compared them with my old Civic. I found that there isn't actually too much difference in performance although there is about 40bhp more.

I will give these 2 things a try tonight and post to let you know how I get on.

Thanks again, SPK

5. slap-pop-karl Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello can anyone advice me on how to take the solenoid off? I can't find the bolts to undo, and I don't want to pull bits off my car to try find these bolts either. So has anyone got any advice on this matter? Or even a link on taking off the solenoid? Not got round to buying a manual yet and couldn't find a source with the information I am looking for.

Thanks SPK

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

What engine is it ? F18B ?

7. slap-pop-karl Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I do apologize but I actually don't know. I'm also not to sure where to find that information. I'm not even sure if i have a SOHC or a DOHC. This stuff is all new to me as I have never had to deal with these issues. Could you possibly point me in the right direction to get this information?

Thanks SPK

8. slap-pop-karl Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Its this one I do believe. [h=3]F18B[/h]This engine was used for the Honda Accord 1.8 VTS/VTE in Japan. Also found in the European Honda Accord VTEC S.
    [h=4][edit]Specifications[/h]
    • Bore × Stroke: 85.0 × 81.5 mm
    • Displacement: 1,849 cc
    • Valve Configuration: SOHC, 16 valves, VTEC
    • Compression ratio: 9.3:1
    • Max power: 138HP (103 kW)
    • Max torque: 124 lb·ft (168 N m)
    • OBD 2 Ecu

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

There should be a plate in the engine bay with VIN number and engine number on it.

If its an F18B engine that's not really a high output engine, single cam, only 138BHP, you can't really expect it to shift the car quickly.

10. slap-pop-karl Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks speedygee. I will look in to that tomorrow, a bit dark now. I was still expecting her to shift better than the Civic did though, that is where my confusion is with the matter.

Thanks SPK

11. slap-pop-karl Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

yeah its that engine. She seemed to move better today. Maybe she just needs a good run after sitting. Still going to look at the solenoid to see if it needs a clean.

Thanks SPK