General 1.6 Civic 2004 Model - Timing belt Change ?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by Moss, Thursday 29th Sep, 2016.

1. Moss Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thinking of getting my Timing Belt changed on the 2004 Civic 1.6; although it's only done 39000 miles.
    Phoned Honda Swansea earlier this year and they quoted me £210.00 all in including VAT; but, because we were in the process of buying a house in Wiltshire, I put it off till now.
    This morning I phoned Honda Chippenham; and asked for a price to change the timing belt and idlers?? Wow; did I get a shock! the lad in the office must have made a mistake ? he quoted £480 for timing belt an idlers. Over double the price quoted by Honda Cardiff & Swansea Wales.
    Anyone had their timing belt done? What did it cost? Where did you get it done?
    help and advise appreciated
    P9190186.JPG

2. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

£210 would probably just have been to replace just the belt. The difference will probably be the cost of the tensioner plus a small amount of labour.

3. Moss Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sorry, but your incorrect on this one Pottermus, The quote from Honda Wales included Idlers and Tension pulley etc. £210, all in including VAT.
    This afternoon I phoned Honda Swindon and got the quote of £210 for the kit + belt change. The lad that quoted me £480 got is mathematics wrong .

4. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As the parts would come to around £180 I would question your quote of £210.

legend-ary likes this.
  5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    :whathesaid: 100% !

6. Moss Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well that's what I'm getting from 3, Honda Dealerships, £210; I wouldn't lie to you. Ring one of them and ask, that's what I did.

7. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'll ring one tomorrow.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @Moss you have a better offer on the table take it why do you want to argue or waste time over 30 quid,its better in your pocket. @Pottermus does speak from experience in Honda trade.

9. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Booooooooooooooommmmmmmm!

civic cambelt.

Not one is accusing you of lying. More like offering advice as you are clearly not getting what you think you are...........

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    You can get aftermarket tensioner and belt for about £80 but even with that the £210 quotes seem too cheap and you also wouldn't be expecting a Honda dealer to be fitting non OEM parts, especially for belt and tensioner.

Last edited: Tuesday 11th Oct, 2016
  11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @Moss what did you end up doing in the end did this info help?

12. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

eating humble pie.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    now now