Engine & Gearbox 1.6 diesel Gearbox Whine

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by brendan3696, Wednesday 18th Feb, 2015.

1. brendan3696 New Member Getting Started

brendan swansea
    Hello just thought I would share my recent experience. I purchased a new to me 2014 CR-V 1.6 in November and took it for its first service this week. I asked the dealer to look at an issue of gearbox whine from about 60 - 75 MPH in 6th gear. Initially I was told it was a characteristic but after a drive with the service manager he made an enquiry with Honda. Apparently there is a known issue with a bracket near the gear lever which is transmitting noise back into the car. Honda are working on a fix but my car now has some insulation between the bracket and the car body and the whine seems to have disappeared. Which is good news to me although no idea how long before the official fix will be ready.

FirstHonda likes this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hello and Welcome to the club :Hey:That's the first time I have heard this Honda will no doubt make a new gearbox mounting or dampener to suppress this noise.

Please do keep us posted.:Wink:

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Welcome to Honda Karma @brendan3696 :Hey:

I'm sure Honda will sort you out in due time, when they have developed a permanent fix.

Please do add your CR-V to the Club Garage.

4. Explorador Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Spain Javier Cádiz
    In Spain,most of the CR-V 1.6 owners,we hear that noise.
    I don't know if the few that don't hear it they have ear problems or they drive with the radio playing loud,ha ha.
    It's a general problem.
    Commented to our Honda shops and no solution given at this time.
    Some customers are a bit obsessed with the noise..and asking if it is not going to cause a major trouble in the future,as it seems related with the gearbox...

5. Explorador Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Spain Javier Cádiz
    I have to say that seems that most recent buyers are not experiencing the noise,from what I hear.Hope It´s fixed..younghood problems,maybe?

6. Explorador Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Spain Javier Cádiz
    Sad to say but new possible buyers are still experiencing the noise while testing the car with the dealer..and they are not to buy a car with that fail.
    Seems nothing changed in the production line..at least not all the units have it fixed,which is more confusing..I don't think demo car is so old.

7. Snowplough lincoln New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Fred Lincoln
    Hello everyone . I have just joined Honda Karma. The site looks great. My issue is that I have just bought a One year old CR-V 1.6 diesel after a very impressive set of test drives. Unfortunately on picking up the car I experienced an intrusive whine once the car was in 6th gear at 60mph on the motorway. The whine increases in pitch as I accelerate beyond 60mph. The car has only 1600 miles on the clock; dealer says whine is simply a characteristic of the engine. Any advice greatly received.

8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Fred, there is already a thread about this, so I'm merging yours with it. :Hey:

9. Snowplough lincoln New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Fred Lincoln
    Thank you Nels; seems that my issue is mercifully rare and so I can expect Honda dealer to sort it out. Really like the CR-V by the way!

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Me too. I could have ended up with one when I changed cars l last year.