Needs Repair 1.8 VTEC Sport

6th Generation (1997-2002) vehicle added by Rob S, Thursday 30th Oct, 2014

1. Rob S Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob S United Kingdom
  2. Rob S Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob S United Kingdom
    PORS kit purchased so the rust treatment will start this week :Smile:. Going to explore the squeeky clutch actuation as suggested by @exec . Will also get the putty for the wheel repairs this week and start gathering the refurb stuff.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    PORS ? what is that dude please enlighten me?

4. Rob S Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob S United Kingdom
    Paint On Rust System. It's really popular in the states and in some sections of the restoration brigade. I'm fed up of the crap you can get from Halfords etc. It's starter kits means you deal with loose rust, convert it, then treat it, then paint over it. Time will tell if it's as good as some sections of the trade suggest.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Stop Rust with POR-15® - We Know What Permanent Means! for further details mate.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Ahh mate you need to have a look at Corrosion Protection | Award Winning Mineral Acid Rust Removers - Bilt Hamber Laboratories they make one of the worlds best rust protection it superb.

6. Rob S Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob S United Kingdom
    Have you used their stuff before? I was wondering especially as they are local to me, but someone recommended PORS to me.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Oh yeah my first gen is got the entire treatment 6 years ago and its fantastic no kidding no sales pitch . This is best of British at its best.

8. Rob S Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob S United Kingdom
    Cool, thank you.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    But POR15 now I know the product you want to use is eqaully good too. Try frost.co.uk they sell the entire range of POR15 compare the prices from your vendor and there and make a call.

10. Rob S Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob S United Kingdom
    It's already ordered so I'll have to try it now :Frown: Got a cracking deal off of eBay. Hopefully I won't need to get more in but if I do I'll try the Bilt stuff. Thanks Ichiban :Smile:

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No worries mate just prepare the rust areas really well before any treatment, slapping on paint is the easiest but its the prep which makes the difference.

12. Rob S Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob S United Kingdom
    No worries :Wink: I 've got used to owning loads of Fords before the BMW's so I'm familiar with bloody rust! (Why can't our climate be better? lol)

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Why can't someone tow Blighty toward Spain no rain then. That is why my first gen come out 4 months in year.

Rob S likes this.
  14. Rob S Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Rob S United Kingdom
    Well, 300 miles in and just over a weeks ownership.
    Positives are the build quality and quiet drive. I like the general looks, even though it has a few age related marks.
    Negatives are lack of urgency from the engine (due an oil change and I've read they like fresh oil for the VTEC) I'm not expecting it to pin me into the seat, but the power delivery is just linear and not stepped as expected. The gear change while fine, is not "snickety" like a Prelude or Civic I drove. The handling is nowhere near the 3 series, but I expected that, it's a different beast.
    I'll service it and see what the next week brings, hopefully better fuel economy because I won't be putting up with what it's doing at the moment, long term.

Ichiban likes this.
  15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Fresh oil is the lifeline for all VTEC's you can't do enough oil changes for a happy engine.