Service & Maintenance 10 Year Coolant Change - Petrol

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by sc489, Monday 18th Jul, 2016.

1. sc489 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My petrol Accord is due its first coolant change after 10 years soon. I've never had to top up the coolant. How critical is it to replace the coolant after 10 years and what are the benefits of changing the coolant?

Zebster likes this.
  2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Mines never been changed either, so I'm also interested in the answer. Years ago the methanol content would slowly evaporate and be lost, but this doesnt happen to ethylene (or propylene) glycol.

Please always be careful when draining the coolant system. Antifreeze is both attractive and toxic to animals and has resulted in many pet deaths.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    If the pH drops then this would be more of a problem for an iron engine.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Zebster likes this.
  6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Acidic solutions aren't such a problem for aluminium alloy engine blocks, so I assume it'll be OK?

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Any metal will corrode mate when mild acid is around, remember diluted acids are stronger than concentrated acids as they have more Ions,Just imagine how times coolant is circulating within the engine .

The water pump in your engine can circulate 150 litres and hour as it supply rate so your engine has 6-7 litres of coolant that is a a very high rate of circulation.

8. sc489 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It seems the coolant should be replaced in case the low pH level / acidity of used coolant may corrode the engine components. What is the pH level of new Honda coolant and what is the pH level below which the coolant should be changed?

9. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Is it even worth testing?

If I were you and it bothered me at all I'd just change it all as a matter of course

Ichiban likes this.
  10. sc489 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have the blue coolant which shows pH of 8 using the test paper. I understand new coolant has a pH of 7.9 so the pH is the same as new coolant after 10 years / 67k miles. There seems to be no need to change the coolant on pH grounds even after 10 years.

Zebster likes this.