Engine & Gearbox 10w40 oil in 2.4 i-VTEC?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by kully, Sunday 10th Feb, 2013.

1. kully Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I put down the deposit on a 2004 2.4 auto tourer today, collection is next weekend once they've sorted out the tailgate struts.

It's only down 43K miles and has a full Honda service history.

Looking through the invoices from the Honda garage (Hendy in Southampton) I saw mention of 10w40 oil in a couple of them. Reading through the posts here, this has got me confused - I thought it was 0w30 that should be used...?

2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Congrats on the car, sounds a great buy

You can use either, but 0W 30 gives much better cold start protection which is when the engine wears the most, and lubetechshop will do you a discount if you get the code from one of the moderators.

check out my blog for more info on the sort of TLC your car might need
  3. Sibzter Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I am using 10w40 right now and I always have. Where I live it can get very cold so I am thinking about trying 0w30 if it really protects the car more when starting
  4. kully Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Sibzter, SayamaAccord,

Any opinions on switching to synthetic oil once I start looking after it myself? Or sticking with what the engine is used to?
  5. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

6. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Kully,
    Welcome to the forum. You bought yourself a nice ride. Great.
    Just want to reconfirm: 10W40 is within the range of Honda recommended oil grades for your engine. It's not a mistake.
    Personally, I wouldn't mind switching from 10W40 to 0W30 or 0W20. I already did this with a 2007 petrol Civic. Car drove on dealer 10W40 until I bought it and changed to 0W20. Drove that car until last November. No issues at all.
    Similar with my wife's 2008 Civic petrol. Dealer maintained on 5W30. Drives now on 0W20 since we bought her.