General 12v / 24v

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ArcticFire-Account Closed, Tuesday 8th Dec, 2015.

1. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Can anyone advise if it will be ok to use a 12v add-a-circuit in a 24v truck? It's just for installing a Mini0805, so the current will be something in the region of 0.2A I believe. My only concern isn't so much the current draw of the camera but the current draw from the OEM circuit that the add-a-circuit is tapping into?

One thought is to use the fuse for the 12V cigarette socket?

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    If there's a 12v circuit with a 12v fuse, then sure use that but you wouldn't want to hang it off a 24v circuit as the internal circuitry may not handle that.

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Oops, popped an 0805! Nice smoke screen produced lol

Bypassed the male cigarette lighter plug and forgot that there's a step down built into it. Rewired another one through it and it's fine so going to use actual step down boxes now as it's neater and probably a cleaner way to go. Only £8 for them so worth it.

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Something else that came to mind is why the fuse in the add-a-circuit didn't go first?

5. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Our camera's are wired into the power feed for the radio as Scania radio's operate on 12v.

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Mechanic did mention that but I didn't want to take a chance of popping another one lol

I remember using a 3A fuse as I didn't have a 1A which is probably why it didn't blow the fuse. Well the step down should solve things for the next 10!

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    24V - 12V voltage reducer box no good. Hacking into the cigarette lighter attachments from now on until I can find a better solution, although they work fine with the hack so is there really any need to do anything else?

8. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As long as it's the 12v socket your piggy backing off and it comes on with ignition I can't see any problem. What trucks are you putting them in? Like I said ours are into the feed for the radio but that's probably cos it was easiest and wire can come straight out the top of the dash by windscreen to the camera. I'd show you a pic but my new truck ain't got one in it.

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    It's the 12V that will be the problem, it will blow the camera as it needs a 5V input at 1.5A. Mind I'm bypassing the cigarette adapter which reduces the 12V to 5V.

I'm just going to use the hardwiring kit from Maplin with an Add-a-circuit as it will take it straight down from 24V to 5V directly and safely and is a less complicated setup.

10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Hardwire kit uses mini adapter so no good. Ffs.