Tyres & Wheels 16 inch wheel options

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by blackbeard, Tuesday 17th Nov, 2015.

1. blackbeard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England England Kent
    My diesel Accord tourer has 17 wheels at present which I find at tad on the harsh side, is there a list anywhere of the different Honda wheels that would fit, would 16 inch wheels from any of the other models ie Civic etc fit as well ?

Blackbeard.

2. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    from what I am aware the stud pattern is the same on the accord and the Civic..
    just make sure to check the offset and tire size aswell.

3. Alexknight91 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Alex Norwich
    And that they fit over calipers

4. blackbeard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England England Kent
    Something I had not considered Alex.

So with that , can anyone confirm that if I was to downsize my factory fitted 17 inch wheels, to Honda spec 16 inch wheels if these are the correct specs :-

5stud
    114.3 CTR
    offset 55
    rim width 6.5

Would I need to change the calipers as well.

5. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    My Accord diesel tourer has 16" wheels as standard.

blackbeard and Alexknight91 like this.
  6. Alexknight91 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Alex Norwich
    That's fine then, I'm pretty sure 16" wheels won't fit over FN2 front callipers and guessed accord ones are a similar size

blackbeard likes this.
  7. blackbeard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England England Kent
    Thanks for you replies gents.

8. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Yup my CTDi Accord Tourer also has 16" rims as standard.

9. blackbeard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England England Kent
    Would you guys using 16 inch wheels recommend over 17 's , how do they perform in relation to anything of larger diameter ie noise handling etc ?

10. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I've never fitted 17s, but I'm fairly sure the 16s give a better ride and economy.

11. blackbeard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

England England Kent
    Yes only to be expected , I noticed a significant change on another vehicle more curious as to Honda owners preferring one over the other, and if they would ever swap back ,and for what reasons.

12. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    17s do look better, I will admit.

13. Heckler Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

My previous 4 or 5 cars have all had 17" rims with a minimum of 205/55/R17 tyres on up to 235/45R17 and I had no complaints about the grip.

With the 16" rims and 205 tyres I'm uncertain at the moment as I have no frame of reference when it comes to such a larger and heavier car. My last car was a Mondeo M3 Saloon and it handled better than the Accord does.... But that may be be down to many things such as longer wheelbase and heavier chassis... or worn suspension bushes, softer shocks and so forth rather than the tyres/rims.

I feel that I'm driving the accord about 10-15% slower than I did with the TDCi Mondeo... and my average trips use some smaller B roads and lesser A roads. Corners that I would take at speeds of 50-60mph I'm taking at 45-55mph instead and on smaller roundabouts I just can't chuck it around like I used to in the Mondeo.

You notice more if you went from a 205/55R16 to a 215/55R16 than a 205/55R16 to a 205/50R17 as the second number is a percentage of the width... so those two would offer the same rolling circumference within a couple of % tolerance... whilst going to a 215 will increase the width of the tyre and the height of the sidewall... which will affect the accuracy of the speedo.

If in doubt use the handy tyre calculator over on miata.net... unless anyone knows of a suitable alternative... that will tell you what size tyres you will need on different size rims to maintain the rolling circumference and accurate speedo readings.