Tyres & Wheels 17s lock nut removal

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by chrzascz, Thursday 16th May, 2013.

1. chrzascz Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi All,

I`ve just found that I have no lock nut socket for my alloys on the Accord (17'').
    First thing I always do is to call Honda - just to find out that I can`t actually get a matching socket, because they are one-off sets for each set of bolts (which is just incredibly stupid, as its not exactly Bentley Continental so that every single set of bolts have to have one-off matching socket - which is exactly what I`ve been told).

Now, I had a similiar adventure with BMW bolts, so I`ve used good quality, one size smaller socket, and a rather large hammer, as Honda doesn`t want to help with this, and I don`t know a mechanic that would do that for me :/

The question is, are there any suprises waiting there to happen, and is there any other (maybe less offensive) way to remove those little silver (removed) :Blink:

Please refrain from swearing -IC

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Please don't try to swear on the forum or try to bypass the swear filter. thanks
    The wheel bolts at 19MM and the locking wheel nut is unique to each car I am told that one and 20 cars has the same locking wheel nut so that secure so don't understand your concerns. Why didn't the dealer tell you to look into your service booklet it will give you the locking wheel nut code and if you have lost it they can order one for you next day?

Why does Honda not want to help you what did you actually ask for ?.. Bentley and Honda hardly same league is it so can't see why the comparison is being made:Search:

3. chrzascz Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hmmm... Sorry, won`t be swearing anymore, promise, and I didn`t bypass swear filter, either not consciously.

Honda Dealer didn`t help me either through negligence or lack of knowledge, if what you are saying is the case.
    I`m saying this as for a simple and straight question I`ve been told something that is not the case at all, which is:
    its not possible to order new sockets for those types of lock nuts because they are unique for each set.

You are right, Honda and Bentley are hardly the same league, hence
    '' (Honda) as its not exactly Bentley Continental so that every single set of bolts have to have one-off matching socket - which is exactly what I`ve been told).'' by the Honda Dealer.
    What I meant is that if Honda was right and I can`t order them that its stupid policy (producing rather large amount of cars without vital spare parts to support the quanitity)

Anyway, I`ve asked for ways to remove it, so he question is, are there any suprises waiting there to happen, and is there any other (maybe less offensive) way to remove those little silver Guys than to drill them out. :Blink:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Right it clear the person you spoke to you didn't have a clue, not to worry have a look in your service booklet or wallet . in the wallet there should be a small white card like a business card in the plastic inserts with the locking wheel nut Julian date. if you have that then order a replacement is easy.

Additionally if that not there look in your service booklet on the first page it should have been filled at the time the car was purchased.

if you don't get joy speak to Holdcroft Honda they can order you a replacement locking wheel nut and ship it to you. you may have to pay for postage to ROI thou, but you have to have the code.

if you don't have a code. then what

get to a dealer they should have a box of all known commonly used keys they can try all of them and get to the code off the key which matches .

drilling and other methods should be the last option.

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Agreed, Bentley have some way to go before they catch up :lol:

6. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Whoever you spoke to is talking through their ring.

I've replaced a locking nut key for a Jazz without the code within five minutes this morning

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Please do enlighten us how do you order a replacement locking wheel nut if you don't have the code.

8. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Weld an old socket to the locking bolt and unscrew, easy if you know someone with a welder.

9. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I had the same problem when I bought a 205 gti, locking wheel nuts and no key !! What I did is buy a socket piece 1 or 2mm smaller than the nut and hammered it on and then used a wheel brace to undo the nut. I bought 4 socket pieces one for each nut but I suppose you could try and knock the nut out to re-use the same socket piece.

10. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I doubt you will be able to hammer a socket over a mcgard locking nut.

I should have shares in the company who makes this tool I've posted it so many times.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/laser-emergency-locking-wheel-nut-remover-set-4pcs/94826?cm_sp=Search-_-SearchRec-_-Area1&_requestid=1125066

11. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Worked for me ! But im not sure if they were Mcgard ?

12. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Being Peugeot, probably made of chocolate.:Whistle:

13. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

If I would have known that I would have eaten them afterwards ! :Smile:

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I can't understand why does the sledgehammer approach have to become the first step when wrong information is given?

15. Rhys Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I can't understand why does the sledgehammer approach have to become the first step when wrong information is given?[/QUOTE]

Because we've all watched top gear for too long and taken on too much of Jeremy Clarkson habits !!! ha ha

AccordCU2 and Ichiban like this.
  16. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Just a method sometimes used in the trade, creates a lot less mess than trying to drill or chisel the bolt off.

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Quality !! :Rolf:

Rhys likes this.
  18. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Still seems a lot if hassle compared to using a locknut remover.
    Most tyre places use them
    now.

19. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
  20. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The one I listed above is Laser but its a whole set.