Tyres & Wheels 17s or 18s ?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by LordOxygen, Tuesday 8th Jul, 2014.

1. LordOxygen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, I've got an EX 2.4 8th Generation and it has the standard fit chunky 5 spoke 17's. I'd like to change them for something more interesting and before I start building up a short list of wheels I need to decide on 17 or 18 inch. I've read 18s make the ride noticeably firmer however they do look a lot better in the 8th gens big arches.

I'd be interested in views on ride quality from anyone that's gone from 17 to 18's? Is the better look with the sacrifice in ride quality, or am I better sticking with 17's? (must admit I think the car looks a bit awkward on 17s, especially as the wheels are well inside the arches).

Thanks for any opinions.

(To add, if the standard tyres are 50 profile on 17s, should I be looking at 40s to keep the rolling radius the same on 18s?)

2. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    Hi there Lord Oxygen, (Interesting name btw! :Wink: )

I have recently gone from 17 to 18 on my 7th Generation, my tyre profile went from 45 to 40 to compensate for that extra inch, just for the speedo to read correct, I personally prefer the firmer ride, the car feels less spongy, and a bit stiffer on the bends, gives me the confidence to actually have a bit of fun in the bends, not as much body roll... but its not to everyone's liking, they don't absorb the bumps as well, but the difference I felt was minimal.

Also take into consideration the low the profile the higher the PSI, which in my case has also made the steering a tad lighter than before, which again I love :Smile:

No matter what you decide, Honda do offer 18 inch optional extras, Honda do there cars properly and I'm sure they wouldn't provide that size if it was detrimental to the overall feel and ride of the car :Wink:

Chris.

:Drums:

LordOxygen likes this.
  3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    With 17s you'll absorb more of the bumps and jumps from British roads without feeling it in the cabin, you'll launch in 1st with less effort, grip better and overall have marginally better fuel consumption. I've at least for now decided to stick with 17s as I much prefer the ride to 18s. As @Chrispy pointed out, 18s will stiffen things up a bit and make the car even more predictable, they look better, and in general are more desirable for most.

There's also the wheel width to take into account, a lot of people run wider wheels on their drive axle to help put power down to the ground - whether that's a priority for you or not.

Be it tyres, suspension bushes, shock absorber mounts etc. - where you get cut down on the amount of rubber and go for more rigid solutions you'll gain on the handling and lose out on the comfort. There's always a trade-off.

4. LordOxygen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks, I'm really tempted to go for 18s just for the looks. As mentioned 18s were an option offered by Honda so it can't be too bad for the ride. I'll give it some more consideration.

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    The difference isn't that drastic, if you bet the opportunity, maybe hunt down another 8th Generation owner in your area with 18s to see how you feel about them before taking the plunge :Smile:

LordOxygen likes this.
  6. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I went from the standard 17" to 18" Sigmas earlier this year.

The ride (on Yokohama tyres) is a touch harder, but not really an issue IMHO, especially given the improved looks and handling. A bigger issue for me is road noise - especially on the motorway - which I find quite a bit more noticeable.

Have got used to it now. I just turn up the stereo a bit...:Smile:

LordOxygen likes this.