Body, Paint & Styling 18" V 17" wheels..

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by sspeed, Tuesday 3rd Sep, 2013.

1. sspeed Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all....
    My 2007 CR-V EX has 18" wheels on..
    Yes the tyres are more expensive..
    But are 18" wheels that much noisier???
    Im half thinking of switching to 17" wheels...
    Would you say its worth the switch..

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I don't have a CR-V so can't suggest is the car is prone to more road noise than 17inch tyres . However I am running 18inch wheels on my 7th Generation accord and your tyre choice is very crucial for a quite car .I always go for the quietist tyres from Yokohama or Michelins and it is very quite and relaxing drive even on rough roads.

I would say go for it but don't skimp on tyres as 18 inch wheels are expansive. if you can't afford the expensive tyres stick with 17 inch personally.

3. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    According to Honest John 17" wheels give a better ride than 18". Interestingly, Honda fit 17" wheels on the latest CR-V models below the SR, and 18" wheels for the SR and EX. According to Honda's performance figures the 17" wheels give better fuel consumption and lower emissions then the 18" wheels. I have the 4th Generation EX and would have preferred the 17" wheels.

4. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Tyres are expensive "full stop" - naturally the bigger size costs more, but like Robbie, the 18" tyres on the 4th Generation CR-V, I have found them to be just fine and far less noiser than the 17" wheels/tyres on my old 8th Generation Accord.

Different set ups, resistance etc - it all makes a difference. If you can budget for another set of wheels, go for it. But the way I look at it is if you can spend money on new smaller alloys/tyres - why not put that towards the upkeep of the ones you have now? My two cents....

5. sspeed Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Re: 18" V 17" wheels..

Thanks Robbie....
    I searched eBay and 1 or 2 scrap yard for 17" wheels and they are as rare as hens teeth..
    I have decided to keep the 18" wheels now and have ordered a full set of Dunlop OEM tyres.. I will have 4 wheel tracking and camber checked at the same time..
    I have only had my CR-V a few days and was wondering how heavy these cars are on Tyres?? I notice you are also in Lancashire..Where abouts ?? I work in Blackpool but live 10 miles North of there.:Smile:

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for your advice..
    You are correct.. Even the guy at the Honda garage said the same thing..
    Thanks again.

6. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I live in South West Lancs, not far from Ormskirk, so some distance from North of Blackpool.

7. KENQW Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ken Devon
    Can anyone help? I am trying to determine the size of my wheels on my 3rd Generation CR-V. The wheel measures 19inch across the rim but the tyre is a 225/60 R18. Is it an 18 or 19inch wheel? I am looking to get some spare rims for winter tyres and guess from previous posts that I can go down to a 17inch if it is an 18. Can I do the same ie to a 17inch if i have 19inch now?

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    That's definitely a tyre for an 18" wheel, but if it measures 19" across I'd be just as confused. You can stretch fit tyres after all.

You can go down to 17" (225/65/R17), even 15" (225/75/R15) if you wanted - you've just got to make sure that the tyre you put on makes up the extra diameter to have an accurate speedo. Use a calculator to check accuracy before buying. 225 is the tyre width, again you could go wider or thinner depending on the arches and what offset the wheels are from the hub.

It's all quite confusing at first glance!

9. KENQW Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ken Devon
    Appreciate your reply,thanks. I think I understand especially after looking at the calculator to see the equivalent sizing. I have been offered a set of 1st Generation 15 inch CR-V rims but I don't think they would look right being too small.

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    They'd just look like off-road tyres to be honest, most 4x4s have small rims and large tyres to help smooth out the ride. They're perfectly fine for road/winter use, but that said, you're not about to see me doing it.