Tyres & Wheels 18" Wheel upgrade

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by JTG, Saturday 11th Apr, 2015.

1. JTG Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jonnie Norwich
    Hi all.

I currently have some 17" wheels with 225/45 tyres which need replacing in the near future. I've been looking to use it as an excuse to get a set of 18" wheels with tyres.

I've never bought a set of wheels before and have been struggling to find definitive information regarding the fitment of wheels on the 7th Generation Accord.

The set I'm looking at have a rim width of 7.5j and an offset of 38, would this be ok for the Accord? I know the stud pattern is ok.

I should add that I am also planning on lowering the car 30mm max.

Any help and advice on the above is appreciated.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  3. JTG Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jonnie Norwich
    Can anybody let me know if a rim width of 8.5j would be ok?

And if the car will be able to be lowered with 18s on?

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Sorry I've been away, you should be able to get a 8.5j rim under fine but so that you don't get too much poke you probably want an offset of about ET30+ ideally, it's been done many times before. I'd suggest grabbing a tape measure and figuring out how much further out than your stock wheels would be acceptable to you. To me, on the below the front pokes out too much even though the fenders are rolled, so I'd stick with ET45+ to make it easy on yourself.

18x8.5j ET30 on 225/40/R18:

DSC_0118copy.

The other thing to be aware of is with the rolling radius, you want to keep it close to stock so that the speedo will still be accurate. I normally use a calculator to show the exact differences but unfortunately it's offline at the moment - I'll try it again later for you to get exact specs.

7.5j on ET38 will be absolutely fine and sit pretty flush with the arches compared to stock.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  5. JTG Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jonnie Norwich
    Great info, thanks. Even though some of it is a little over my head (I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to wheels).

I had to rush into a purchase and have just agreed to buy some GS300 Sport wheels. They're 8.5j, ET40 running 245/40/18's. I'm slightly concerned about them rubbing. If they don't fit I think it will be a case of refurbishing them and selling on to a Supra fan boy or something.

6. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    Look forward to seeing pics of them on your motor mate, are they off the old school GS300? Diamond cut with black, as they are a staggered fitment. Added a pic. :Smile:

GS300.

7. JTG Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jonnie Norwich
    Yes they're the ones, off the 1st Generation. The set I've got aren't staggered though as the width of the rear rims I think would be too wide. Shame.

I'm going to have a go at refurbishing them myself. Unfortunately the centre bore is too small so I also need to sort that. They also stick out a little bit too much so that's something else that also needs addressing.

I'll get there in the end.

8. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    I love those wheels can't wait to see them on an Accord. Have you got four fronts then?

9. JTG Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Jonnie Norwich
    Well I bought them as a set from a salvage 300 Sport. I don't know if they're four fronts or if Lexus only introduced the staggered wheels after a certain year.

Either way they're cracking wheels, just in need of a little TLC.

10. JamesS Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

James Leeds
    Possibly the GS 430 sport had staggered wheels,but yeah great wheels mate, good find! :Smile:

11. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    18's are the perfect size for the 7th Generation IMO

2015-03-19 18.30.47.

12. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    That looks so good Pete and like Mr Honda intended! My brother inlaw has the Type-R that they come from originally and I must admit to giving them the once over.

Did you fit anything else when you changed to the Civic wheels like lower suspension or bigger brake set-ups? I only ask as the brakes on my Type-S Tourer seem weak and this mod would allow for bigger discs.

13. balllus Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Marcin
    7gen and 18's... perfect combo. You can check mine in garage. Mazda Rx8 wheels.. I was not sure about buying them but know after more then 2 months i'm not going to pu smaller then 18"... never :Wink:
    - - - Updated - - -
    Now*

14. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    just had a quick look it looks really good with those fitted

15. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    P's did they fit straight on OK?