General 187bhp... Really?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Galgo, Friday 14th Aug, 2015.

1. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've read on a few different sites online that my 2004 2.4 Accord Tourer has 187 brake horsepower as standard. Is this true?

I only ask because my car doesn't "feel" like it's got nearly 200 brake... Before this car I used to drive a Ford Cougar with a 2.5 V6 engine, and that had 167 BHP... It felt more powerful than my Accord?

I'm assuming it's because the Tourer is heavy... Unless there's something wrong with my Accord? lol

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    It's a different kind of engine, all the power is wwwaaayy uptop. The VTEC band is from 6000-7000 RPM

I had a taxi driver who bought a 7th Generation Accord 2.4 say the same thing to me. So I said you're driving it wrong, let me show you how much power it's got .. so I took him for a drive and he was then well impressed with power :Rolf:

So Sam, if you want me to show you sometime, I'd be happy to do so :Grin:

Honda K series engines just love being revved so go on Sam, get the revs up there, don't be afraid.
    Like so ... (although this guy goes into the red !!! avoid that, change bang on 7K !)

Galgo likes this.
  3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    When I first joined the AOC when I got my '03, I think my opening post went something like - "I've noticed I have to smash her in 1st to make good progress" - almost any naturally aspirated Honda engine has a huge power band to utilise, the whole point in the VTEC system is a dual-natured personality, economy and refinement on the lower band, power on the upper-band.

Mine's hardly stock now, but she could take any stock Type-R, with the exception right now of the turbo Civic Type-R (and I don't think it'd take that much more to get there either).

Galgo and dinoc like this.
  4. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

LOL thanks guys!

I think one limiting factor in my case is that my workhorse is an automatic. I did drive the car 'manually' using the gears a couple of times in the past, I felt that it had more poke doing that than leaving it in Drive. From memory I think it hits the limiter at around 7k RPM whereas on that video he could go further in... I guess because he's driving a manual.

5. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's called shopping VTEC.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I've driven 7th Generation autos before, in fact drove one just a couple of days.

I don't think there's any difference when using in manual mode compared just in normal auto mode. The kick down functionality on Honda autos is very good, it's consistent and predictable. In fact I really enjoy driving 7th Generation autos because of the great kick down.

Push your foot down and gearbox quickly gears down and off you go. You can then quickly go through the revs, the auto box then switches upto next gear at 6700.

The auto Accords still shift pretty decently. They aren't as quick as the manuals but the are still pretty nippy and definitely fun to drive.

Galgo likes this.
  7. NottsBiker Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ben Nottingham
    Comming from two Civic VTi's and one chipped Prelude the Accord does indeed feel slower. Its almost as if Honda have tried to refine the VTEC rawness out of the engine and make it more civilised and somehow in the process lost a bit of soul. My brother in-law has an FN2 CTR and it would murder my 2.4 Type-S dog-wagon which is a tad disappointing with its 400cc smaller lump. Personally I'd love a Type-R Accord Tourer but thats just a pipe dream :Smile:

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

My Accord can have any of the stock Type-Rs, just not quite the new turbo, yet :Whistle:

9. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Not with a meager 196bhp it can't

10. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Considering no Type-R on the day dyno'd that high I think so :teasing:

11. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

20150818_182901.
    Coupled with the fact an ATR is about 30 tonnes lighter than a 7th Generation, I'm feeling confident.

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Ahaha, you won't feel so glee when I get a proper dyno :boast:

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I'd put money on Leo's CL9 having stock ATRs hands down (and I'm not even a betting man) :Grin:

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team