Generator 1963 Honda E40

Energy & Marine vehicle added by HondaHeritage, Sunday 13th Mar, 2016

1. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    saw this on ebay this morning in the usa made an offer which was excepted !!!!
    such a rare item and one or two may come up each year but are generally incomplete

$_57.JPG

these are so small !! and put out a mere 40w
    these were purely designed to power sony,s new portable tv an was a short run in production 1963-64

maxresdefault.

can't wait to get my grubby little hands on it !
    im already lining up the sony tv to go with it

s-l1600.

i think between me and cj we could soon open up an old honda generator museum !!!

Last edited: Wednesday 23rd Dec, 2015
    MickyB, Ichiban, FirstHonda and 2 others like this.
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That looks superb !! :gohonda:

3. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Does it have an engine?

4. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    yes a wee one
    - - - Updated - - -
    heres some more pictures of my new aquisition

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

hedleyf, MickyB, legend-ary and 2 others like this.
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    OMG this is THE First ever Honda Genie I have always always wanted one of these. I am mega jealous I will be waiting to see this beauty one.

6. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Are you saying that that is 52 years old?
    And still in working order

God our cars will out live us all:Messed:

Great find.

7. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    hi micky
    havent got it yet ,im following its tracker
    it started its journey from joshua texas to fort worth texas and at present is residing in chicago!!
    I've bought it as a non runner but have every expectation of having it running very quickly as it is complete, turns over with compression and absolutely nothing is missing from it !!!!
    most of these you find (apart from museums ) are generally incomplete and only turn up two or three times a year
    the frustration of not actually having it in my grubby little hands is driving mr crazy ,this really is an exciting find !!

legend-ary likes this.
  8. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I bet you are itching to get hold of it and when it comes to your door :jumpup:

Anything can be stripped and rebuilt you'll do it.:Niceone:

9. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    AT LAST :jumpup:
    my little genny has arrived !!!
    it arrived at heathrow on the 1st of jan where our shite customs hung on to it for 7 days :happycrying::happycrying::happycrying:
    i,d love to know what these asholes do all day apart from clawing their customs duty :money: they failed to notice the bloody thimg still had petrol in it :no: it had been packed on its side and had leaked into all the packing where it had sweated and had lifted some of the paint work off !!!!
    nothing more infuriating knowing your parcels arrived and is being held less than 20 miles from me :Rant:
    anyway got the parcel yeasterday and opened it up which has promptly fill my office with stale petrol fumes

E40 001.JPG
    on inspection it was quickly clear that it reouired at complete strip down as the fuel tank was full of goo and the filter in the cap had disintegrated !
    no suprizes there
    whipped the spark plug out pulled the starter cord which create a spark at the plug bright enough to light the room up !!

with that done i have now started dismantling this little fun sized mars bar :Grin:

E40 016.JPG
    E40 017.JPG

E40 018.JPG
    E40 019.JPG
    E40 020.JPG
    E40 022.JPG
    E40 013.JPG

the fuelling system is going to need some careful attention and is relitavely quite complex for such as small unit with pipework running through the carrying handle ? which with its delicate "honda generator moulding " took me over two hours just to dismatle this part alone !!!
    all in all it apears in good order and not "got at "
    updates will follow as i go along

regards slim

Last edited: Sunday 13th Mar, 2016
  10. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Come on little fella you've got a nice new daddy now who will make you all well and shiney and look after you with great care. So make him a very happy dinosaur bunny and work for him :Niceone:

This baby dinosaur will roar I'm sure of that.

Customs are a total pain, did you have to pay any duty on it. I remember a couple of years ago my missus bought a jacket from some guy in the states and it was sent and collected over here by parcelforce they paid the duty on it and we had to pay them when we collected the jacket, all in all it doubled the cost of the jacket. Wonder whose pocket that went into?

11. jd1959 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Ireland Zack Kilkenny
    Very cool little generator, please continue to post pictures and a video when you get it up and running.

Agreed and the couriers seem to be the worst of the lot as they all charge a sizable admin fee vs the regular post. I do find it interesting what they manage to catch in the vat net as I've imported some rather big and certainly vat liable things from Japan and didn't get caught but the 25euro media player I got for one of the kids got caught and charged. Had a box from Singapore recently value of a 100 euro including post that DHL tried to charge me 67 euro for customs and fees till I requested a breakdown of the fees and it magically became only 24 euro.

MickyB likes this.
  12. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    hi folks thought i,d better update this topic with a progress report
    I've have been intensively researching the E 40 generator and there is very little solid information on this machine and indeed at honda who the designer was it was attributed too
    the general information out there is it was pretty much the first prototype bring honda into the world market of portable generators
    it started out being designed to power SONY,S first portable TV requiring 40 watts to power it, but that was side lined as mr honda saw the potential market for a more powerful unit so the first offical production run of small generators was the E300 (putting out 300watts)
    what appears to be the first E40 was labelled the GA11 in 1963 it was painted gold and was used by honda as a presentation award to successful honda dealers in the usa

$_57.JPG

there appears to be no offical number of the run of the GA11 & E40,s or indeed wether they were even publicly marketed so here we have a very early example of of honda,s birth into the world widemarket of technology

any way back to my aquisition
    after unwrapping my parcel it would appear the some old fuel still remained in the tank and had leaked causing the paint to lift and react
    it was obvious that it was full of old varnish like fuel and would need totally stripping down rebuilding and restoring all the paint work
    before stripping i gave the pull start a yank with plug out and rested on the head .result a huge spark so ignition system was at least healthy

the strip down

E40 013.JPG

the power unit

E40 016.JPG
    front panel

E40 017.JPG
    rear panel

E40 018.JPG

base panel with one end attached with chrome exhaust muffler

E40 020.JPG

power unit with a can of coke :Grin:

E40 022.JPG

okay plan of attack think small ....very small
    checking over the fuel tank unit first issue the fuel cap filter totally disintegrated inside the tank first job fish the bit out and see what can be done

E40 007.JPG
    E40 009.JPG

mmmm not a promising start just two rotten rings and mesh totally no existent !
    out with the polisher with fine wire wheel attached and a drill with a wire brush and attack the remains and see whats left
    suprixingly what a result
    E40 012.JPG

E40 011.JPG

as new filter are no longer available fortunetely the remains look repairable !
    sourcing some modellers brass wire mesh on ebay time to test my micro soldering !!

E40 010.JPG

E40 015.JPG

E40 018.JPG

E40 011.JPG
    as there is stamped on the base of the filter "fuel level" it is obvious that it sits at the bottom of the tank so the right measurement for the mesh is easy
    with a pair of sissors the mesh cut easily and a careful bit of soldering one restored filter

jobs to follow shortly

restore handle insert
    repaint handle
    restore tank to carburettor filter
    clean out petrol tank
    repaint petrol tank

plenty more to follow hope i don't bore you all

Attached Files:

MickyB, jimjams and legend-ary like this.
  13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Excellent progress buddy, just to state this genie was not commercially available to the masses this was an experimental genie for Honda and its partners to test the waters if this would sell.

This is rare rare beast but the E300 was the first commercial Honda generator sold around the world. All Honda genies owe so much to this small genie its remarkable.

14. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    this is so incredible.. can't wait to see further updates.

15. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    Slim the way you're fixing that generator is just astonishing !!

I've been googling Sony TV5-303 ...it had 6 silicon transistors (I think they were in the "line output" stages) and 24 germanium transistors.

The receiver section is VHF Bands I and III (in this country, Band I was used for 405-line BBC channels, and Band III was used for 405-line ITV channels). But it was possible to get a separate UHF receiver box for that TV. Without that UHF box, an older set-top box with an RF output will not work on the TV, because the RF output of set-top boxes is UHF.

But, although that TV obviously doesn't have a SCART input, it should be possible to get the "composite video" signal off the SCART output of a set-top box, and then put the signal directly onto the "baseband" input on the TV circuitry (which would require access to the full circuit diagram of the TV to come up with a simple interface).

However, another problem is that it seems that the TV came in two different models, the North American model and the European model. The problem with the North American model is that it will be for NTSC (525 lines 60 Hz), which would require a modern converter box to convert PAL to NTSC. On the other hand the European model was able to work with the French SECAM system (819 lines 50 Hz) or the more ubiquitous PAL system (625 lines 50 Hz). I would expect that there would be a switch for choosing between PAL or SECAM on the European model, and when switched to PAL, the European model would not require a converter to work with composite video from a set-top box.

HondaHeritage likes this.
  16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Fantastic fab work there Slim !

17. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

See I said you could do it:Happy:

18. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    thanks guys for your interest
    this little gennie is far more fiddly than i had anticipated and is more atuned to my model engineering experience ! due to more or less zero spares available much fabricating is required
    heres the next installments

i decided to tacke the "larger" items next starting with the aluninum handle and delicate platic honda generator insert
    the alloy handle was a bassic strip and paint satin black but the plasic insert was a different matter

E40 019.JPG

the brittle plastic insert was laquer finished an had lifted and the plastic underneath had stained
    bearing in mind the insert is about 7 in long and 3/4 wide fragile and thin it to several hours with fine wet and dry paper to remove and flat off the old finish with fine scalples to carefully pick our the lettering

E40 008.JPG

i then applies a fine coat of white primer and then a coat of clear laquer the end result being very satisfying looking totally as original

E40 009.JPG

next i dicided on a fiddly job and a bit of a challenge
    the votage gauge
    the protective screen face was totally naffed cracked and misted not even i could repair this !!!

E40 002.JPG
    time to think out side of the box !!
    i decided on a real outside chance and went round my local shops looking at small vacuum packed items in hope of the packing being a suitable near replacement ,yep a real long shot !!!!
    i ended up in my friends local chemists and lo and behold i found a small battery with its wrapper yes wait for it EXACTLY the same sixe as the votage meters screen:eek: what was even better was the battery package was damage so i got the packet for free !!!

E40 005.JPG

dismantling the volt meter gauge i was able to save the screen to make the replacement

E40 004.JPG

E40 006.JPG

next instalment to follow shortly

Attached Files: