Generator 1964 Honda E IV 300 Generator

Energy & Marine vehicle added by Ichiban, Saturday 6th Feb, 2016

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    From the pictures provided by the seller the poor genny has been sat around pushed pillar to post and it has dings & scratches and it has paint over spray all over it. It was never loved or cherished and most importantly forgotten.
    First thing I get back to to get the side, front and back covers off all held by JIS screws. A few screws were missing which suggest someone been at this genny before me.

First thing I notice is this elaborate mechanism to supporting the choke throttle assemble. Never seen anything like this on the E300E this is clearly something unique, took pictures of all the linkages and marked the position of the screws and located them with a ring so when I put then back it in that same position.

IMG_0537.JPG IMG_0538.JPG IMG_0539.JPG IMG_0540.JPG IMG_0541.JPG IMG_0542.JPG IMG_0543.JPG IMG_0544.JPG

Some had a go in starting the generator but gave up there are clear sings some thought fresh fuel will be enough to get these old generators going. WRONG they just don't fire up that easily.. there is the challenge in these beauties.

Then I took the base plate off then dismantled the springs and the delicate link mechanism then removed the fuel over flow & fuel pipe followed by the cooling shroud around the air fan.

Look how mucky the entire engine and generator is it had spiders, cobwebs, cement and layers and layers of dusty and debris.

IMG_0540.JPG IMG_0561.JPG IMG_0560.JPG IMG_0559.JPG

You can see the Carb intake gasket still perfect to the top the breather pipe from the engine to vent al oil vapour directly into the air intake system. The intake system is so basic it has no air filter or even an oiled foamy filter just a wire mesh.
    IMG_0579.JPG

Before I start to strip any further I wanted to check if this genny produced any spark at the spark plug.So took the plug out to find it in brand new condition infact no carbon at all. Took the point cover off to inspect the point to find them heavily crusted up. Gave them a 30 minute clean to a mirror finish to get a feable spark which was a good sign.

IMG_0547.JPG

Changed the plug and the spark got a bit better but not ideal still. Next stop a bath for the genny.

2 hours of painstaking cleaning with brushes,WD40, petrol , tooth brushes and elbow grease one super clean genny. No more messy hands :Smile:
    IMG_0562.JPG IMG_0563.JPG IMG_0564.JPG IMG_0565.JPG IMG_0566.JPG IMG_0569.JPG IMG_0573.JPG IMG_0574.JPG IMG_0575.JPG

Some more fettling to the point ad checked the point gap and adjusted it to the heel of the cam perfectly.The spark was so bright it nearly lit up the entire room !!!
    IMG_0576.JPG IMG_0580.JPG

The fuel tank was flushed and cleaned the all the residue rust flakes all cleaned and drained. The fuel cock strainer was also cleaned out.

The carb was stripped and cleaned, it did not warrant a full ultrasonic clean as this was just manky with dust and grit. I had to change the mail fuel pipe as it had seen better days. The New pipe is genuine Honda modern pipe in grey. Note the fuel strainer for the fuel tank made of brass meshing.

IMG_0556.JPG IMG_0555.JPG IMG_0554.JPG IMG_0549.JPG IMG_0548(1).JPG

Inspect the electrical system from the ground to the main panel clean all contacts and pick-ups.The best thing about Japanese electrical is everything is colour coded you can't go wrong!
    IMG_0552.JPG IMG_0550.JPG IMG_0539.JPG
    Not happy to see a big crack on the back of the AC port but that can be repaired with some hot glue and give it strength,

Put the carb back on the engine and fit all the pipes and put the entire genny back in reverse order.
    IMG_0578.JPG

Put fresh fuel in the fuel tank and here you go it runs, ran it for 20 minutes and drained the oil and flushed it and then repeated again.

Next top full strip and paint more to follow soon now that this genny runs :Smile:

Nels, SpeedyGee and legend-ary like this.
  3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Fab work mate once again.

You've slowly building up a huge collection of these !

Ichiban likes this.
  4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

:GoodJob: CJ. Good to see those JIS screwdrivers being used.

Ichiban likes this.
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thanks guys it's been busy few months working on these old generators and everyday I am leaning more and more on them and soon have the definitive list and knowledge about them. Those JIS screwdrivers and long nose pliers are a god send. Every single screw on that genny are JIS.