Generator 1964 Honda E IV 300

Energy & Marine vehicle added by HondaHeritage, Sunday 13th Mar, 2016

1. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    THE HONDA E IV 300 YES YET ANOTHER EARLY SIXTIES GENERATOR!! 1964/65
    this one was discovered on ebay by cj late one night a couple of weeks ago the posting was only 40 minutes oldon a buy now and cj snapped it up in a second !!
    the seller lived a mere 7/8 miles from me !! cj decided that i was to be the proud owner of this one and the seller delivered it to me , he,s add on ebay did not do it justice and when it arrived it appeared that this was no ordinary early genny
    this is how it arrived and believe me i was like a child at christmas opening his best ever present:jumpup:

HONDA E IV 300 014.JPG

HONDA E IV 300 015.JPG

HONDA E IV 300 017.JPG

HONDA E IV 300 018.JPG

the labelling on the box "eirth technical college dept of engineering" ? and "advanced developments" ? already opens up a whole host of questions and theories and i havent even opended the box !!!
    here goes :jumpy:

HONDA E IV 300 020.JPG

all there but no manual or instuction but still so complete
    nowforthe genny:Grin:

HONDA E IV 300 004.JPG

HONDA E IV 300 006.JPG

HONDA E IV 300 008.JPG
    HONDA E IV 300 010.JPG
    HONDA E IV 300 011.JPG
    HONDA E IV 300 013.JPG

i was absolutley astounded ,the condition was as near mint i was lost for words
    after a quick wipe down i turn my attention back to the box to clean up the accessories and the polysteyrene inserts in the bottom of the box was a polythene draw string bag which the generator was placed in first ,on turning the top packing case upside down i noticed a large piece of screwed up paper which appeared to wedge tyhe generator firmly in place almost destined for the bin i unwrapped it and lo and behold it was the entire missing paper work :eek: unbelieveble i was within an ace of binning it !!!
    some careful ironig and pressing the crumpled paper has become some very presentable documents and the final outer wrapping an impressive parts chart poster !

HONDA E IV 300 022.JPG

HONDA E IV 300 023.JPG
    HONDA E IV 300 024.JPG

HONDA E IV 300 025.JPG
    HONDA E IV 300 027.JPG
    HONDA E IV 300 021.JPG
    HONDA E IV 300 019.JPG

with the evidence found so far with this package every thing is pointing at this is possible a final "sign off" prototype and the begining of the production run of honda,s first ever uk sale of the first portable generator launched in its final guise the E300E
    im still researching these early generators for more information and have contacted the named college that original had this one ,i am waiting for them to get back to me in the next few weeks and they are very keen to help in researching what their conections were with honda !!

i find this a very interesting era of honda as the generators im collecting are some of honda,s very first engines that they designed and produced the birth of the company so to speak

ok
    does it run ??
    well after several hours of stripping down the carb and linkages the float was stuck to the bottom of the bowl with old fuel gum which had eaten out some of the floats lead solder leving several hole in the float .
    after several attempts of resoldering the float i succeeded in sealing it and then with a fine file i remove all excess solder
    so reassembled carb cleaned up the points many times eventually got a good spark ,topped up the fuel and oil ,2or 3 pulls on th pull start and hey presto another runner !!!

reunited hondas very first two portable generators

E40 006.JPG

Attached Files:

Nels, Ichiban and jimjams like this.
  2. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    omg that final picture of the two generators side-by-side is fabulous

(at least this generator should power a combi boiler in the event of a power cut)

HondaHeritage likes this.
  3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Wow ! just wow ! All that history and mystery and nostalgia and ... oh I'm all excited !

You guys are really on a roll !

Look forward to hearing more on your investigations.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Honda History for you I love the price of the parts in old money!! once we have found its true history at the college this genny is quite rare. Now I have the same one up North which will be restored we have two E IV 300.

The beauty is my iV300 is earlier than this one as the internal gubbins are different , just shows Honda did on the go changes every month. I dread to be a parts manager back then for these generators it would have been a nightmare.

5. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    even the E IV 300,S components are incredibly small and without a workshop manual (never seen one yet ) is becomes blatantly obvious that there is a very difined sequence of dismantling these units especially the carburettor and all the control linkages as cj can testify !
    before attacking any kind of work on these units you need to take a fair time in studying how the designers mind worked in his ideas of making the workings of these incredibly small machines
    it is so easy to break , misalign,and generally damage some of the finer parts and settings a challenge not for the faint hearted !!
    here just a glimps of some of the workings and with my relatively small hands an idea of the size of the components and how tucked away behind panels some of the bits are

HONDA E IV 300 002.JPG
    HONDA E IV 300 003.JPG
    HONDA E IV 300 004.JPG
    HONDA E IV 300 005.JPG
    HONDA E IV 300 009.JPG
    HONDA E IV 300 011.JPG

Ichiban likes this.
  6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I agree its not for the faint hearted one look at this complex linkage and delicate wire push rods will get your head in a tizz. You have to be handled with care and you have to have gentle hands any heavy handedness will wreck it, then you have to figure out why did they make it this way for it to work!! It's so complex but I can appreciate all the work on the early generators and how they have improved on E300E to see benefits of their development.

The best thing when you have cracked the working of it the joy is something else.

This winter has been a absolute joy reliving the early Honda engineering and best thing no two generators are the same!! as you can see the fan shroud on @tviracing E IV300 is made of plastic mine is made of metal!!

7. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    pictures please :Wink::Whistle:

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I will mate..as you know my garage you seen how many generators are in the way!

9. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    a shouty LOL :Wink:

10. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    here are the final finished products
    polished and finely tune 100% ready for use !
    hopefully more history will be forthcoming in the near future !

E40 002.JPG

jimjams and legend-ary like this.
  11. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london