1967 HONDA GB40

Discussion in 'Energy & Marine' started by HondaHeritage, Monday 11th Jul, 2016.

1. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    ok i think people on this forum probaly think im a little odd to say the least in my taste (or lack of ) of models of honda products:Grin:
    well this latest purchase probably really has pushed the the boat out (excuse the pun) with regards my mental state of mind........but is there method in my maddness.??
    my fondness for early development has taken a new twist with this quirky little ugly duckling, but like everything honda this ugly little duckling was to develop into a beautiful swan namely the massively successful range of honda outboard engines that we know today !!!!
    this little oddball started life in japan in 1964 as the prototype outboard GB30 and only found in japan (one can be found gracing the floor of the honda japans museum!!! ). the power supply the G40 engine was shared with the early honda rotovator ,the honda generator and their waterpump and probably other items which I've yet to discover!
    this GB40 engine is the first outboard motor honda made for the world wide market and lanched in 1967 very little is know of its success and i beleive it was short run as the more streamline models were available in 1970 and from this date they nrver looked back !

i took delivery of this little engine on saturday morning and by the afternoon i had made a stand to mount it on from scrap bits of metal in my yard
    it has a belt drive from the engine to the top of the propeller shaft which transfers to an internal sprocket which runs a chain down the shaft to anothewr sprocket which drives the propeller
    at present the belt and guard is missing but apart from that it appear complete
    to my amazement a dash of fuel and a whiff of easy start it burst into life and choke and throttle were in functioning order !
    after inquiring round numerous old and established honda marine dealerships only two knew what it was and only one had seen one and that was at the 50th anniversary last year at the southampton boat show where honda japan brought over their museum example for loan for the display !!!!!
    I've already recieved a considerably large offer for the GB40 from a main dealer which i have decline but have offered to loan it for open days at honda marine dealerships
    mmmm just got to restore this one me thinks :Grin:
    watch this space

HONDA GB40 003.JPG HONDA GB40 004.JPG HONDA GB40 006.JPG HONDA GB40 001.JPG HONDA GB40 008.JPG HONDA GB40 009.JPG HONDA GB40 010.JPG HONDA GB40 011.JPG HONDA GB40 012.JPG HONDA GB40 013.JPG HONDA GB40 014.JPG HONDA GB40 015.JPG HONDA GB40 016.JPG HONDA GB40 018.JPG HONDA GB40 007.JPG HONDA GB40 002.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Wednesday 31st Aug, 2016
    Zebster, SpeedyGee, Nels and 2 others like this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    There I was talking about the next collection of Honda collectable with you and outboards and there you have it bang!!

THAT is mega mega MEGA rare!!

3. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
  4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Wow! 170ccs of pure beauty!
    who knew at the time... fantastic piece of Honda history @tviracing

5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Yes you are a little odd, but aren't we all one way or another.
    I don't know how you manage to find all these Honda things, but top marks yet again! :GoodJob:

HondaHeritage likes this.
  6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    WOW that looks superb, you can see true old school Honda engineering just oozing out of it.

Fab find ! Look forward to it being lovingly restored.

7. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    LOL
    i think you have to be a little odd to think outside the box hence finding things become a little easier:Grin:
    and to much time on my hands :Grin:

8. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    the clean up begins

HONDA GB40 003.JPG

HONDA GB40 006.JPG

HONDA GB40 022.JPG
    HONDA GB40 007.JPG

HONDA GB40 025.JPG

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    eh clean up what clean up looks the same with me , less photography more elbow grease. chop chop.:bleh:

10. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    oi thats a bit rich people are always complaining theres not enough pictures ???

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    There are plenty of pictures but no action .. :boss::money:

12. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    if you come down ,i.ll show you how the propeller works:Devil:

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yeah with your neck wrapped around it lol