Weekend Toy 1977 Honda Civic

1st Generation (1972-1979) vehicle added by HondaHeritage, Sunday 13th Mar, 2016

1. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    slim1 owner 1977 4 SPEED MANUAL HONDA Civic

i did in fact find this car several years agoin bournemouth on ebay which didnt sell as it was a littke expensive
    but i did keep in touch with the owner
    at the beginning of this year i got a call from the owner offering the car at a considerable lower price
    after sending me some up to date photos it was obvious that it had deterioated since i first saw it
    anyway a deal was struck and a good honda enthusiast friend of mine was coming to collect a car from me and it was on his way so he kindly offer to pick the car up for me and it arrived today !!

new%20civic%20005_zpsirmseuip. new%20civic%20004_zpszpius86d. new%20civic%20002_zpspqpf5mkm.

the worst part of the car is the engine bay in fact the worst I've ever seen but this is my area of experteaze so watch this space !!
    all though it looks rather grim ten minutes under the bonnet and i got it firing into life ! not bad for something thats sat around unloved for several years
    BY SUNDAY I SHOULD BE DRIVING IT AROUND THE BLOCK !!!

new%20civic%20010_zpslexhxeop. new%20civic%20009_zpsauzz5uxy.

the interior will mint up its in exceptional condition and gracing the dash is the very rare optional extra a jeco clock

new%20civic%20014_zpsrzeoz8yq. new%20civic%20016_zpskam59dbe. new%20civic%20018_zpsw09g5sjn. new%20civic%20007_zpsjjg2xgxc. new%20civic%20012_zpsdmm1cqgx. new%20civic%20013_zpsmnoj4sce.

sorry for the poor quality picture was in a hurry due to it raining quite heavily

more to follow for those that are interested

regard
    slim

Superman001, Ichiban, Nels and 2 others like this.
  2. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    Grats !!!1 Can't wait to see how she gets on

3. dockertrigger Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mike United Kingdom
    Marvellous! I bet that will look sweet once you've worked your magic with it. That engine bay looks like something that's been dragged up from the bottom of the Thames though!

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Great find there Slim, definitely needs a fair bit of TLC but looking forward to seeing her slowly get back to her former glory :Smile: Make sure to share pictures of the progress!

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Fantastic find Slim. Look forward to seeing you bring her back up to scratch.

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I too, will be watching how you get on with this one Slim.
    If your past restorations are anything to go by, you'll have another beauty by the time you're done.

7. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    thanks for all your interest in this little civc
    i will be taking a different approach ti this one shall we just say this will be a rolling restoration
    the way i shall tackle this one will be to do sections at a time but keep it tidy and usable and on the road for events this year
    there are sections of panel work all round that need addressing let alone under the bonnet
    the overall look of the car is tidy and presentable but it will require a respray once all the panel issuses are corrected

after manging to get a few hours in on it over the weekend after a general assessment the first jobs on the list to tack;le are going to be ...

tidy up engine bay and engine
    i found after an hour or few of first stage engine and bay clean that most if not all the black ziebart will come off and the original engine bay paint is in fair condition after a small section I've clean up
    and the ali has come up quite well on the first clean

water pump is shot
    have nos in stock and of course a new cam belt

virtually no external electrics functioning
    all lights and horn

have a set of replacement door mirrors to fit

brakes clutch and gearbox appear in exellent working order (as i did run it round the block) will drain fuel tank full of old fuel so engine is a bit boggy and the exhaust smells of varnish
    tyres look like they were the last thing done to the car they are really in excellent condition and a matching set of 4 !!!!

hopefully in a week it will be MOT able

some pictures of the first stage clean

new%20civic%20007_zpsjkvtumoe. new%20civic%20006_zpsvmrpaajz. new%20civic%20008_zpsaoiqbl0n. new%20civic%20005_zpsp3d2yfp7. new%20civic%20004_zps0pcgjrmm. new%20civic%20003_zpslj1nuasb. new%20civic%20001_zpsudr8lvu0. new%20civic%20002_zpssoifd78l.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    love it you are a master in find and unearthing these cars. Leave some for us .lol

9. Superman001 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Paisley
    Love these old Civics, looking forward to seeing how you tackle the engine bay.

10. Ricki_5thGenCoupe Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Northern Ireland Richard Belfast
    wowww, that is a thing of beauty!

11. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    hello all
    just a small update om the progress of this little 77 Civic
    since my last posting the time recently has been spent on reclaiming my garage from being a workshop/ storage room and at last today it sits nicely inside
    theres still a few days of work left to organize my tools work bench and other equipment to go full on with this project
    however I've had a good look over the vehicle and have found quite a few welding jobs nothing that i would call major and shall probable tackle in the coming weeks
    i couldn't resist a little bit of tinkering today fitted one of the new period TEX mirrors and unseized and cleaned up the airel
    i also started the messy job of removing the wax oil and underseal in the engine bay and the result is looking promising

new%20civic%20008_zpsrtsgnj7c.

new%20civic%20007_zpszhg8mlav.

new%20civic%20006_zpszyh0us4u.

new%20civic%20005_zpscifaps61.

new%20civic%20004_zpsxp4w79x6.

new%20civic%20003_zpsjqkk9qih.

regards all
    slim

SpeedyGee and Ichiban like this.
  12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Slim did the first gen Civic have a mechanical fuel pump? from that engine bay its quite clear to see.

13. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    yes cj all the 1st Generation Civics had mechanical pumps even the rare 4dr 1500
    as did the 2nd Generation Civics

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I am all right Jack the First Gen Accords had electronic fuel pumps :spiteful:

15. HondaHeritage Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

slim london
    ha ha
    i know and a real bugger to fit when it goes wrong if i remember rightly

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Naah man it has easy access three bolts covers the shield and then three bolt on the floor pan towards the wheel well, My car still running the original fuel pump and it alive and kicking. Mind you I have two brand new NOS fuel punps if did come to it.

None of this diaphragm heat and loss of pumping action of mechanical ones. not to mention ethanol damage.