Service & Maintenance 1996 accord is poorly

Discussion in '5th Generation (1994-1997) [Rover 600, Isuzu Aska]' started by azzy71, Saturday 14th Jan, 2012.

1. azzy71 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi everybody,i hope you can advise me please.
    I've have a 1996 2.0L accord,its my 3rd one and my best to date,I've had it 10 years with no problems until now,i tend to do most jobs myself but im unsure about this.
    it cut out on me last week and will not fire,at first i suspected cam belt but this seems ok,its turning over fine,it had new battery a month ago.
    it seems im am getting no spark at the plugs!! i put new dizzy cap, rotor arm,leads and plugs on about a year ago(only about 4k miles done in this time).
    im suspecting the distributor or the ignitor,can anyone advise please.
    is the ignitor a replacable part?can the dizzy be tested? etc etc.
    regards mark

2. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    the ignitors used to play up quite often so is worth a look. there are different types of distributors among the different engines so best phone and check if they come separate. ime 90% certain they do. welcome to the forum anyway. whereabouts are you from buddy?....they are brilliant motors, thats for sure. welcome to AOC!

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Welcome along Azzy to AOC.

Beefy has given you some pointers already hope it gives you some indication to resolve your problem if you can also get some DTC codes of the cars ECU that may give some other indicators to isolate the problem.

4. azzy71 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi beefy,thanks for the welcome,im from clifton,manchester.....main dealer says ignitor is seperate part at £75 + vat,£400 for complete dizzy(scrapper it'll be then),I've had a look today inside the dizzy,looks to me like ignitor is internal considering the size of the dizzy,can you advise which part is the ignitor,I've googled but with no success.
    i do my own repairs and servicing but this part isnt my forte!!,i rarely take a spanner to it really.
    this is my 3rd accord and i had a Prelude before that,your right there superb cars,this is the first time its broke down in 10 years I've had it.
    many thanks in advance:Smile:

5. azzy71 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi,thanks again for the welcome,i know a guy who has diagnostics for my car(he diagnosed ABS sensor fault last year)i take it he,s the man to see???.
    hopefully i can sort it myself,i'm not used to Accords breaking down lol.
    thanks again.

6. azzy71 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi beefy,I've just been looking on ebay and have identified a brand new dizzy coil for £23.00,i can identify this from mine,engine size and age of car are correct for mine,would this be the suspect part you suggested?,is it a straight forward replacing job as it looks like it may be.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yeah that should be the first thing to do you got the symptoms short listed need to know 100% it is ignition related. Then buy the parts then you know

8. azzy71 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thanks,i.ll keep you posted

9. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    the link you posted is just the ebay home page buddy. the ignitor is not described as the distributor coil. the ignitor takes an electircal signal from the ECU which is linked to the cam and crank position sensor. the ignitor then allows voltage to pass through the separate distributor coil pack and to the correct spark plug as the rotor inside the distributor turns. so the ignitor unit is completly separate from any other part of the distributor. they tend to get quite hot and therefore have a heat sink similar to a computer CPU. it is this heat over time that causes the internal circuits to break down and cause starting/running issues. if the spark is not controlled along with the engines timing your car won't start. this is not to say it is definately the ignitor that is at fault on your car but it is one of the first things i would go for. i don't advise getting one from a scrappy as you won't know what condtion it is in. phone honda and get a price, doubt a motor factors will have one on the shelf but ime sure they are avaliable non-gen if funds are an issue.

10. Hondas800 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The first thing i would look at would be to see if you have a spark, yes the ignitor's do fail in fact Honda did a recall on the concerto a year's back to replace all the OKI ignitor's these were brown in colour. If you have a spark don't bother changing the ignitor or coil i would then think PGM-FI main relay i quickcheck for this is to just listen for it as you turn the ignition on you will hear a click from the lower dash above the pedal's then after 3 second's another click this is the fuel side of the relay priming the fuel pump, if no click is heard check the relay out.

If it was me would listen for the relay first i have a feeling it might just be that :Wink:

11. azzy71 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thanks again beefy,where would the ignitor unit likely to be situated?,like i said before i was thinking it was internal in the dizzy.i think getting diagnostics on it might be a safer bet to begin with,what do you think?.i could spend a fortune if not and still not be any better off.
    thanks.

12. azzy71 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hi pal,I've checked and im not getting a spark,i thought about the relay but this seems ok,you can hear it as you said and the fuel pump priming.
    thanks.

13. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    its no use just throwing parts at a car, as hondas800 has said. you need to check for a spark and that fuel is reaching the cylinders. turn over the car for about 30 seconds or so and whip a spark plug out. if there is fuel it will be soaked in petrol, if it is dry you have a fueling problem. this could be the pgmfi main relay perhapse. if the engine is flooding with fuel there is no spark, but to be sure an old school trick is to connect the spark plug back to the lead while it is out and touch the engine with the threads while getting someone crank the engine over.

14. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    the ignitor is inside the distributor cap. 3 8mm/screw head bolts hold the cap to the dizzy. you may need to undo the rotor arm to remove the ignitor but you caunt miss it as it should be on the left of the dizzy with about 6 wires to it. a word of warning though, it may not be a simple job to diagnose. i have learnt the hard way with these engines and i work on hondas for a living. the same problem on a Civic i worked on, ended up needing an ECU as the cause of his non start. same fault, no spark! my advise is to get somone who has worked on these cars before to look over it and diagnose propperly what is going on.

15. azzy71 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

thanks beefy,i did as you have said last sunday with the plug and there is no spark!!,think DTC's as mentioned before is the first thing to try.
    thank you

16. azzy71 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hello again,a mechanic friend of mine has been round tonight with his diagnostics,unfortunately he tells me my car being a 1996 has "obd 1",his plug is to suit "obd 2" and as my car has no diagnostics plug he can't use it.
    But on the upside he took a look at the dizzy and we found that the coil pack is producing a good spark but is'nt getting to the plugs,therefore he suspects rotor arm or dizzy cap,as the car just cut out and won't fire he reckons more likely to be the rotor arm....what do you think??,to me that seems fair,for the price of a rotor arm its worth a try.

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You could try that and hope it resolve the problem we are getting close also thoroughly inspect the cap for cracks are the pick-ups on the dizzy cap alright ?

18. azzy71 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

problem solved!!!! it was the rotor arm,£13 well spent,thanks for the advice,she's running like a gooden.

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Brilliant news bud can up upload the picture of this offering part just need to have a look at it for memory purposes. I have this weird passion of looking a failed parts at length ,it make me understand and appreciate cars more.

Posted by iPad

20. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Another great result.