Engine & Gearbox 1997cc ACCORD VTEC SE ENGINE SPEED SENSOR

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Duncan Mills, Wednesday 7th Nov, 2012.

1. Duncan Mills New Member Getting Started

Hello everyone.

first post here and trying to get to the bottom of an annoying problem. I have a year 2000 1997 Accord VTEC SE, manual gearbox. Recently the engine management light came on. When my local mechanic ran the diagnostic check, it showed the fault as being with the speed sensor on the gearbox.

The only symptoms that are apparent are that it does not idle very well and will sometimes stall. Everything else is fine and the car drives wonderfully.

I have had a look and can see what I think is the sensor at the top of the gearbox with two wires coming from it.

My questions are; is this the only sensor on the gearbox? how easy is it to change? Does it have a more technical name, as my local
    small-ish Honda garage did not know what it was! and lastly how much do they cost?

Many thanks in advance

Duncan

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Was the error removed to see if it reappeared?

just seen its a manual.:Smile:

3. Duncan Mills New Member Getting Started

Hi,

Yes the error was cleared and came back after driving for 15-20 minutes.

Duncan

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Duncan we have a similar symptoms displayed on this thread with Matt's car

Help! 2.0 vtec stalling

Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Comes on With DTC P0341 have a read of this too it would seem the engine oil replacement schedules on both your cars have not been meet and its oil related.

At this moment in time is pure speculation until both of you can confirm the entire history of the car prior this symptoms appearing on your , any attempts to adhoc replace parts and hope for the best is not ideal and strongly suggest not to take the first answer for all your non Honda technicians as gospel.

Last edited by a moderator: Friday 21st Mar, 2014
  5. Duncan Mills New Member Getting Started

Thanks for the link, all a bit to technical for me. A brief history of the car. I bought it second hand from a Honda main dealer last November. According to the service book it has been serviced by them at correct intervals and at the last service before I bought it the oil was changed. It has done 97000 miles. Looking on the parts diagrams, I can see the sensor on top of the gearbox housing which looks fairly simple to change, however it is then connected through the housing to mechanical part with cog on the bottom which looks expensive(?).

I have recently had a new clutch.

Thanks for the help

Duncan

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds