General 1998 Accord-Doors lock and unlock at random if ignition key in. anywill it fail MOT?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by awhhartley, Friday 8th Jun, 2012.

1. Hi guys,
    This query is bout my son's car which is being a bit silly at present :Aghast:

So car will lock and unlock ok, but the problem is that when the ignition key is in the barrel the car will just decide to have a fit and begin to lock then unlock.

It due for its MOT in a few weeks so any help would be welcome.
    Alan

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Re: 1998 Accord-Doors lock and unlock at random if ignition key in. anywill it fail

Hi Alan and Welcome to AOC, This is a wired on has there been any work done recently on the driver side door or electrical work?

I reckon it will be Poor ground \earth connector or a open circuit in wires, loose or disconnected terminals.

Look at the following parts too.

Driver's door switch

Passenger's door switch

Control unit input

3. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Re: 1998 Accord-Doors lock and unlock at random if ignition key in. anywill it fail

IIRC it will fail a MOT if the drivers door will not unlock during a test.

4. Re: 1998 Accord-Doors lock and unlock at random if ignition key in. anywill it fail

Hi there,
    Thanks for the fast response I'll take a look at the car over the coming weekend and who knows with a bit of luck.
    Cheers,
    Alan

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Alan can feedback what happened?

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Alan? you still here? :Unknown:

7. eagledragon69 New Member Getting Started

Would love to know what the problem was as my 97 Accord does the same

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham

The Alarm Control Unit is what locks and unlocks central locking. This could have a fault in it. CJ can you tell us where this is located on a 97 Accord, cheers.