Engine & Gearbox 1999 Honda Accord 1.8 takes a while to start

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Chunkylover53, Saturday 19th Oct, 2013.

1. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Usually it takes around a second to start the engine, however over the last month it takes up to 10 seconds. Initially I thought it was my fault because I never pressed the accelerator like my instructor told me but even then it would take a while. So I turned my attention to the battery which is a four year old halfrauds own brand. So I accepted the extra time it took because I only did short journeys which combined with an old battery probably isn't good for it. However yesterday I did over 100 miles on the motorway and still the same issue occurred this morning. The battery and alternator were changed at the same time four years ago and there are no warning lights on the dash. Does this mean that I have to change the battery?

2. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Re: Accord takes a while to start

Have you got a multimeter/volt meter?

Can you take a DC voltage reading from the battery (looking for 12.6), then take a reading with the alternator running (looking for 14) to eliminate that 'power side'.

If those values are ok, then we need to eliminate the wiring (voltage drop), that leaves possible a duff starter assuming the service history is quite healthy.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham

If the starter sounds like its cranking at good speed then battery won't be the issue. You either have a spark issue or fuelling issue.

4. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks for the reply, I do not have a multimeter unfortunately, would the following item do the same job:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Mul...F8&qid=1382224316&sr=1-12&keywords=multimeter

If not please could you link a suitable product.

Regarding service history, the car has been serviced every two yrs by independent mechanics, car has never been to a Honda dealer since it was bought. Furthermore it has done a lot of short journeys over the last 10 years so I guess the starter could be an issue. However today it started perfectly first time so hopefully this issue will just disappear?

- - - Updated - - -

Spark plugs NGK changed just 2 months ago, only use Tesco or Esso fuel.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

What I meant was either you not getting a good enough spark from the ignition system or you've got an issue with fuel/air mixture.

To get combustion you need correctly timed strong spark with correct air and fuel mixture.

If anyone of those is amiss you won't get combustion. Lets say fuel system is taking time to build up pressure, air-fuel mixture won't be correct until it has done so, hence a delay in starting.

6. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle

Yeah that would read your DC voltage however reading some reviews there are accuracy concerns, probably to be expected at that price. Being out this much would lead to wrong decisions being made.

from Amazon

It seems to measure resistance ok, but if measuring 12.0v DC it reads 10.8v one time and then 10.2v after a reconnect. It doesn't seem to matter what resistance is in the circuit it still measures 12v as 10.?v. When measuring 15.0v DC it reads around 13.1v. 30v DC reads 26.3v.

I use a relatively cheap meter, although its 10x the price of that one at £30

UT50C Digital Multimeter with Temperature & Frequency : Multimeters : Maplin Electronics.

Its quite difficult to diagnose an intermittent fault even in the flesh tbh. A 4yo, low use battery could certainly be a culprit. Corrosion or a bad connection in the starter circuit could also be a possibility but an accurate meter would be an essential component in the initial diagnosis. You could throw money at a battery, then a starter only to find out its a cable, in that situation a decent meter would have paid for itself.

7. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

OK thanks Speedy I understand now, how would I go about testing the mixture of air + fuel and the strength of the spark?

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers for the info, in that case instead of incorrectly diagnosing the issue I will take the car to my independent for a check, it'll probably be cheaper than £30, plus with a genuine battery costing £45 I can't justify spending £30 on a meter.

For now I will leave it and hopefully the issue will resolve itself, if it gets worse during the winter then I will send it to get checked and report back accordingly. Thanks guys. :Thumbup:

8. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Okay so my mum is getting her car fixed so I figured I might as well ask them to fit my battery while they're at it.

I wanted to buy the below battery, but from HH instead with the AOC discount. However no specs are listed such as amp hours and cold cranking power. Do any of you guys know the figures?

Genuine Honda Accord Battery 99-02 Models [31500S1AG01HE] - £49.99 : Cox Motor Parts Direct - Genuine Honda Brakes Clutches & Accessories

- - - Updated - - -

Okay so my mum is getting her car fixed so I figured I might as well ask them to fit my battery while they're at it.

I wanted to buy the below battery, but from HH instead with the AOC discount. However no specs are listed such as amp hours and cold cranking power. Do any of you guys know the figures?

http://www.coxmotorparts.co.uk/genuine-honda-accord-battery-9902-models-p-1096.html

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

HH will know the exact specs.