ICE & HFT 1999 Radio Cassette Unit Replacement With Something Modern

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Stephen, Monday 19th Nov, 2012.

1. Stephen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello,
    I have a 1999 Accord posh model with leather and all the bells and whistles and it has a mint condition working radio unit. I am having some difficulty getting a CD small enough to fit into the little oblong hole at the top [scissors do not work] and the excellent Radio 4 Extra is missing altogether on the radio. I believe Mr. Marconi himself may have headed the design team on this unit - or the chap who invented Betamax. Are there plenty of modern CD/DAB units that will fit this car given the radio hole looks to be a bit bigger than a standard DIN size? Any advice gratefully received.
    Regards
    Stephen :Smile:

2. jaywood Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Brands
    Is DAB any good in cars? My pal had one in his 09 Nissan and it was rubbish in town.
    Just bought an Accord with only the tape player and will hunt behind the dash for a CD lead once I've sorted the ignition switch issue.
    I found this on the bay
    PIONEER HONDA CD RADIO PLAYER WITH CODE TO FIT ACCORD Civic CR-V S2000 | eBay

or if you like the OEM look why not grab a Nokia that can has a built-in FM transmitter and can run a podcast app ie N900?

Run 2 Roberts at home both on 4Extra

Seen this thread fella? http://hondakarma.com/threads/182/

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  3. Stephen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for that. I was rather hoping someone had visited this problem and had some wisdom to share with an amateur. I am keen to have everything in a unit on the dashboard but failing that am prepared to look at separate systems. Regarding the DAB quality thing, I have experienced DAB in a BMW and Mercedes and it seems OK to me. But then I am tone deaf.

4. jaywood Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Brands
  5. Stephen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I am going cold all over thinking about the wiring needed to do that. I really only want to take out the radio cassette, throw it away [respecting the WEEE regulations of course] and replace it with an off the shelf unit with the correct plugs and whatnot on the back to fit into the accord. I was thinking more about this:
    Halfords | Sony CDX-DAB700U DAB/USB/AUX/CD Receiver
    It talks about a magnetic antenna which sounds interesting but I wondered whether the size of it [DIN I expect] will fit the Accord hole which looks a little bigger than DIN. The only thing to two have in common at the moment is a Japanese brand name.
    Regards
    Stephen

6. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

7. Stephen Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for that, just the information I needed. I will now become a Halfords Botherer looking at their entire range whilst I fret about where to put the magnetic DAB antenna [no suggestions please].
    With regard to the current unit and the fact it is a 13 year old car, I do think you may have missed the point of my original post which was meant to be funny. Clearly, I did not manage this in your case for which I apologise. The little oblong hole in it fits a cassette as it is the standard unit fitted to these cars at that time. [the bit about cutting a CD to make it fit was my feeble attempt at humour]. Nor am I griping about the fact HONDA failed to fit a car in 1999 with a DAB radio as I am pretty confident the entire DAB system wasn't available much outside of a laboratory at that time!
    But thanks very much for the information - I can now see my way forward in updating my excellent old car which has only covered 29,000 miles from new - hence the effort with it.
    Regards
    Stephen
    PS: There could be more attempts at humour - you have been warned.