Pre-Facelift Model 1st Generation CR-V thoughts and opinions

Discussion in '1st Generation (1995-2001)' started by AndyB1976, Friday 30th Aug, 2013.

1. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    I am thinking of getting a 1st Generation CR-V so looking for some thoughts and opinions. I will be keeping the 6th Generation Accord so this isn't a replacement, more a weekend car that I throw my outdoor gear or bike in and head off up the highlands etc. Its not going any further offroad than forest trails nor will it ever be towing anything.

From reading the US forums it seems that service history particularly on valve adjustment (B20?) and drive-train fluids is essential.

So have you owned a 1st Generation, how did you find it? I believe the seating arrangement is different between grades in such that the rear can fold flat on some models - do you know what model/grade this applies to?

Would also like to hear from 2nd Generation owners as I've not entirely ruled out a newer 2nd Generation (2005-6) or if you have compared them yourself in the past.

All input appreciated, cheers :Thumbup:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  3. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ah well...looks like its just gonna be me, the one eyed man in the land of the blind lol

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    yup its seems so matey. TBH just had a look up on the 1st Generation CR-V basically apart from the diff locking up due to poor oil change there is nothing to worry about. There are rust issues too.

5. excel monkey Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Epsom
    I have a 2004 second gen CR-V and am very happy with it. It has an easy life as a second car, so maybe I would be more critical of it if I had to use it every day.

Positives:
    Very spacious. Loads of room in the front and back. Sliding rear seat allows you to strike your own compromise between boot space and rear legroom.
    4WD works well, car copes fine with snow, but obviously is no Land Rover.
    Build quality is excellent. My car has 142,000 miles, runs well, and recently sailed through its MOT with no advisories.
    Good standard spec, even on the basic SE models.
    Elevated ride height means kids can see out easily, and lifting babies and toddlers into child seats is easy.

Negatives:
    Fuel economy isn't great, thanks to low gearing and barn door aerodynamics. I get 25mpg on average (low twenties around town, high twenties on a long run).
    Not particularly fast, but probably no worse than comparable soft roaders from the same era.

6. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Nice one, thanks for the reply.

I've not totally ruled out a 2nd Generation particularly with fewer and fewer 1st Gens around. Have you had any issues with your AirCon compressor, the US ones seem to have problems 2002-2004?

7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  8. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Ahh..cheers for that, missed that thread.

Are you still hoping to get one:Whistle:

9. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Would love to, but instead will go with Winter tyres on the Accord this year and see how I get on...