Engine & Gearbox 2.0 ES Accord coupe - Which engine?

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Honey Badger, Monday 23rd Sep, 2013.

1. Honey Badger Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Richie Northants
    Morning all,

Can anyone tell me which engine and gearbox the Accord coupe has as omline sources seem to be a little vauge, I know its an F series but not which one.

I'm looking at one again tomorrow and the body work and interior is immaculate but it has a known issue with the gear box that could last 1000 miles or 20000 miles.

If I need to replace the engine/Gearbox I could go for a straight swap or would it be possible to fit a 2.2 Vti Prelude,2.3 V type, a 7th Generation 2.4 K series or a 3.0 v6 from a breaker.

I'm not looking for the actual details of fitting it (thats what my mate is for :lol:) but more info on what will fit easily without too much hassle.

2. teejay Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tony Northampton
    Hi Honey Badger,
    I've got a Gen 6 2.0 Accord ES Coupe,reg in 1998, engine a F20B5,
    afraid can't help on gearbox front though.
    teejay

3. Honey Badger Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Richie Northants
    Thanks for the reply Teejay, due to the coupe not being as good as I thought it was on a second viewing and needing a thorough brake overhaul I've walked away from this one.

How have been getting on with your coupe as a daily driver, I was surprised at how quiet they were and how good a place to be it is in one.

4. teejay Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tony Northampton
    Hi Honey Badger,
    Had mine about 18mths, love it! Not quite as stunning as that low mileage 3ltr, but a good solid daily, paid £850 with alot of history and 93k on clock.
    Would look out for a good daliy at a reasonable price, there's one out there with your name on it, also may give you abit of spare cash to do something
    to it, should you so desire, worst thing with 2ltr is fuel consumption, especially in urban conditions, low 20's tbh, as you are local to me, if you'd like to see
    what that sort of vehicle that amount of money buys, send me a PM.

5. Honey Badger Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Richie Northants
    Thanks for the offer teejay, I'm viewing a V6 on the other side of Daventry tomorrow but If i don't buy that one I might well drop you a PM to have a look at yours.

The MPG is a bit of a worry, I'm hoping that the low milage I cover will balance out the greater fuel costs I'm going be looking at.

Are the costs for consumables and servicing expensive?