Engine & Gearbox 2.0 Getting Cambelt done - should the water pump be done at the same time?

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by earl, Tuesday 8th Oct, 2013.

1. earl Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

All the quotes I'm getting back from independents include changing the waterpump. £350
    Honda quote is belts only - inspection of pump - change if required. £260 + pump + coolant (so about the same all in)

How good are water pumps on 2002 2.0l engines? Should the pump always be done?

I'm guessing this question has been asked a lot but I can't find the answer on here for the life of me.

Thanks

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    As a best practice you should replace just in case it develops a fault you have to strip down again.

3. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    I decided not to get mine (1.8) done in 2009 (7yrs about 70k) and so far so good (done in Honda dealership, pump inspected). I don't think I've come across many (if any?) reports on the forums of a 6th Generation water pump failure, maybe they are getting replaced when the belt is done or maybe the failure rate is simply low.

If your a high miler and intend keeping it then its probably wise to go with the replacement pump.

4. earl Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The car is at 80k at the moment so it is over due a belt change.

The prev owner lived on london so the car has seen many city miles. I will put on 6k a year if that - mostly city miles too. Thing is at the rate I'm putting on the clock the rest of the car will fail before I need a new belt. Its £100 ....decisions decisions...

5. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Don't get me wrong I'm all for doing a job once and doing it properly but on the other hand scrapping a perfectly working, well engineered component grates on me even more.

6. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I got all the belts, water pump and coolant all done albeit with non OEM parts, paid just under 200 incl labour I recall and so far the car has been running perfectly with motorway and city miles.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Were they blueprint parts by any chance?

8. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Nope mixture of brands like SKF and Continental

9. earl Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chunky - That sound like a bargain.

I did just read somewhere else that when you change the cambelts, the tension changes on the waterpump and thats what causes them to fail.

Spoke to Holdcroft and they say its a case of getting the tension right the belt is replaced and they don't recommend changing unless something is wrong.

As they know a lot more than I do about this - I have to assume its sound advice.

The Honda part in there is probably better than a after market part too. I guess it just comes down to the condition of the part in there.

10. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I got the a good price because I'm a student and we agreed that I would purchase and be responsible for all items. On top of that I found some voucher codes online making it a whole lot cheaper. That said, if I had the money to purchase genuine parts I would have done so without a second thought.

11. earl Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok a semi update to those in the future who are interested.

For £260 the local Honda dealer will supply and fit the cam and balancer belts. They will inspect the tensioner/pullies and water pump. If they need replacing they are extra and will easily exceed £500 if all need doing. However 2 dealer service departments have said it is rare that these items are found to be faulty on its first belt change. I called the parts departments as well and they said the same. Maybe they don't see a lot of 100k plus cars in there? Who knows.

Talking to independents and some googling suggest the act of changing the belt can lead to water pump failure as it is 're-tensioned' with the new belt.

In the end I decided to go for an independent and its booked in for tomorrow. £350 both belts, tensioner/pullies, waterpump, all other aux belts, antifreeze - parts (aftermarket) and labour. I looked at supplying the Honda parts myself but they came to over £400.

Anyhow, get it back by the end of the week so I'll post up again to wrap-up

12. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

That looks a bit steep still, how much did your parts come to?

13. earl Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I don't know - its as parts and labour price as I don't want to be responsible for the parts (unlike you did). Did get a quote from 3 independents with the other 2 at over £370.

Adding up parts on ebay - i.e. £120 for the belt kit, £55 for the water pump bit for antifreeze so £200ish all up for parts. That leaves 2.5 hours for labour at £50/hour + vat

I don't like the idea of removing perfectly working parts both from a enviro and the 'if it works don't touch it' point of view but its financially less risky in the long term.

14. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think the garage will get the parts cheaper because my parts bill came to 165 which included front brake pads. All parts were branded (not OEM) from Euro car parts. I understand that you do not want to be responsible for parts etc but there is quite a lot of things being replaced that you simply cannot see when the engine is reassembled so hopefully your independent is a trustworthy one, or perhaps you could watch them while they work. Another reason why it may be better for you to source parts is because at least you can ask them to put the corresponding old parts back in the box so it at least means the old parts were actually removed. But again if you fully trust them then the second point shouldn't be an issue.

15. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I'd ask for the old parts back just out of curiosity.

Would be good to see some pics/vids of wear 'n' tear etc of the belts and the motion of the pump pulley just for a reference on the forum, at that particular age at that particular milage.:Thumbup:

16. earl Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yea - I already have - I want to clean them up and let my 5y boy have a play with them :Smile:

Will report back the done. I like the way this forum works - ask question, get responses, make decision, report back on result. May others don't and it leaves things hanging.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  17. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

When I got my timing belt changed at 75k after 14 years the mechanic said that the belt would easily do another 10k miles, the other belt was a bit knackered though.

18. earl Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

All done no drama . Didn't get the parts back in the end as I was rushed and forgot and etc.... The mechanic did say the pump felt perfect to him but retention may have killed it - which I have mentioned on this thread previously. He did identify where the PS was leaking (another thread here) so will need to get that sorted at some stage.

Chunkylover53 likes this.