Service & Maintenance 2.0 petrol engine splash tray fixings

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by ampers, Friday 30th May, 2014.

1. ampers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Did an oil and oil filter change yesterday, no problem apart from the engine under tray.
    I removed the whole tray and then managed to free the 7 rusted fixings ( one was missing and had been replaced with two cable ties, by Honda Cheshire presumably) for the central panel, all greased up and so ok for a while.
    To remove the whole tray is a pain, there are about 20 plastic push in pins?, about 6 of which have a small metal slide inside and those are very awkward to remove and the jack has to be removed to slide the whole tray from underneath of the car (axle stands were used in proper locations).
    So my question is, does anyone know of suitable replacement fixings that secure the inspection panel? to the rest of the under tray?
    Looking for plastic or stainless steel perhaps.

To be clear, this is a Gen 8, 2.0 manual petrol saloon, first registered Sept. 2010.

Cheers,
    Ampers.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  3. ampers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi SpeedyGee,
    I have looked at that post but I'm concerned that if the plastic clips mentioned do not fit tightly they might come adrift.
    As for copperslip on the standard fixings, I have done that but I think that that is a poor solution to a poor design.
    I was just hoping that someone could come up a better solution.
    Cheers,
    Ampers.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I change my engine oil every 3k and tranny fluid every year and this simple workaround works beautifully. Ditch those chimney nut holder and nuts for the push pins.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I would think that if CJ (Ichiban) has implemented this solution it would be well thought out solution.
    @Ichiban any advice for ampers ?

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    They will not come off nearly two year with that workaround and its spot on.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  8. ampers Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you all, plastic push pins it is then.
    Ampers

Ichiban likes this.