Engine & Gearbox 2.2 Auto 29 MPG!!!

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Staddly, Thursday 11th Apr, 2013.

1. Staddly Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just completed my first couple of weeks of ownership and have emptied my first tank. To my surprise I calculate only 29mpg which is a bit concerning.

I know autos will be higher than manuals but this seems a tad on the low side.

Any thoughts?

2. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What speed(s) you travelling at? How long are your journeys? Are the journeys stop-start traffic or longer runs on a dual carriageway/motorway? When was the car last serviced? Are you using 0W-30 engine oil? What quality of fuel are you using? Are your tyres inflated correctly? Are you carrying any needless/deadweight in the car with you?

3. Staddly Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well, I have been 'enjoying' the car but mixed driving, probably 30% short trips and 70% Motorways on the first tank. Standard Esso Derv (will check on the last service date). I assume correct oil at it has Full Honda Dealer history. Tyres inflated correctly and only the wife!!

4. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

5. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Agree with Rich - please check that you're calculating it correctly. :Thumbup:

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

don't assume anything bud with oils, dealers fill oil which is cheapest for them buy only a handful will do the right thing for customers. Change the oil on your own with the correct grade for piece of mind

7. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

Economy for my 2012 2.2 I-DTEC EX Auto (using my company fuel card data)...

Last month I travelled 1213 miles, and used 27.06 gallons. Economy therefore 44.82mpg (trip computer showing 44.1mpg for the same period).

c80% of those miles were motorway, generally sticking to 70 mph and using cruise control.

8. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Excellent advice - using the right oil on the I-DTEC engines is vital for their performance.

9. mikey77 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've completed the first month of ownership with the 8th Generation diesel automatic and put 3,400 kms on it (total kms now 68k). Fuel consumption seems to be between 40mpg (knocking about) and 48mpg on the autoroute.
    I discovered a ticket on the engine that says the (French) Honda dealer put 5-40 oil in it before it was delivered to me. So I asked them what oil should be used and they said 5-30 or 0-30! I have now pointed out their 'mistake' and asked them to change it again ASAP.

10. mickthesaw Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I average 35-38 mixed 50/50 town motorway, town I'm doing around 20 stop starts a day calling at customers.
    Its runs better on std shell diesel,the expensive shell made no difference to mine.
    Overall I love mine,I would like a new shaped CR-V mainly for the boot size and getting in and out so many times a day, coming from a Freelander 2 and Disco 4 I miss the ease of access.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    if you getting that sort of MPG with a thicker oil you will improve once you drop to the correct grade of 0w-30

12. Staddly Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UPDATE -

A few more fill ups have passed and I am still averaging around 36 MPG. This is inclusive of a lot of motorway miles! My service i due in a around 2 months so I will be making sure the correct grade of oil is in, so I have not done anything yet.

Just still seems a little low to me!!

13. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes that does seem low - even from an autobox.

Might be out of the way for you, but I would recommend you take it to HH for a service - it will be worth it.

14. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Also check out the air filter, might not have been changed in a while, if its blocked that can't help.

What make of tyres do you have, if they are cheap ones, they might not have a good low friction rating for fuel economy. Brakes sticking on also, especially the handbrake.

15. Amused Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yep, tyres can contribute significantly... Check if the tyres are underinflated

16. Staddly Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Tyres are Michelin and inflated OK. I will wait for the service to see if there is any change as this is due in around 1000 miles.

I didn't get the car solely for economy and I don't drive like a grand dad just yet but I was expecting nearer 40's if i'm honest.

Love the car anyway :Smile:

17. jwramsay Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I got my 2.2 Diesel Auto ES GT a few months back and took it on a road trip up to Inverness and round the Black Isle, taking it easy and got 50mpg on the fuel computer.

This was Shell Diesel (not V Power).

I got 732 miles from the full tank with a range of 30 left before filling up again with 63litres, so around 53mpg.