Engine & Gearbox 2.2 ctdi rattling sound!

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Crv23, Wednesday 2nd Dec, 2015.

1. Crv23 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi guys, in need of some advice!

My car is a 2009 2.2 ctdi manual. It's done 55000 miles.

As some of you might know I have only had it a few months. In that time I have noticed that there is a rattling noise coming from the engine area. It only happens between 1000 to 2500 RPM. I have heard that pinking sound at the same engine speeds but this is a more prominent rattle similar to possible chain/tensioner issues.

I have used 0w30 oil when I serviced it, the last service I found used 5w30 oil but did not say what type it was. Previous to that it was serviced at Honda dealers with 0w30.

This sound doesn't happen in neutral, only when driving. I tried pushing the clutch up and down in neutral to see if I could here the flywheel rattling as it does sound similar to a faulty flywheel, but nothing there.

I did here it the other day when I was in neutral on the drive, but it's only when I revved the car and came off the accelerator.
    Hardly noticeable but very similar.

I have read that if the chain or tensioner is faulty the noise can appear at lower revs as in my situation and then as the engine speed increases the oil gets around better and masks the rattling sound. I don't know if this is correct but I would like to know how to check the timing chain and possible other faults?

Still learning about this car and engine, so if anyone has any kind of advice I would appreciate it. My alternative is to take the car to a dealer or private garage which I would like to go with more info.

Thanks everyone. Sorry about the long post!!!

2. Wizard Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Surrey
    Al Star and Bones126 like this.
  3. Crv23 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for that, will have a look.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  5. Crv23 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I went for an extended drive a few days ago, which included about an hour motorway driving. I let the car stay at high revs for about 2 minutes in third gear.

Didn't notice the noise again for the rest of the day and the car drove exceptionally. But the next morning it sounded the same. Anything below 2500 RPM in first or second was noisy.

The turbo whistling and whining has really improved after the motorway drive. It only whines at low revs now and is near silent the rest of the time.

I have a strong feeling the wrong oil was used in the last service before I bought the car. There's an invoice stating 5w30 oil was used but it only cost 25 pounds.

Not sure if the wrong oil for 10000 miles could cause serious damage but I can't rule anything out.

Going to see how things go, but I get the feeling this cars going to cost a lot of money somewhere down the line. I might be a bit paranoid but might just cut my losses and trade it in for a petrol version. I love the car, really do, but I can see the costs for a diesel mounting up.

Plus I'm not going to be doing more than 8000 miles a year now so probably go for the 2 litre petrol.

Thanks for asking Ichiban.

6. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Assuming the oil was a proper fully synthetic ( so not, say, Castrol Magnatec), then using a 5w-30 won't cause any problems at all unless temperatures go well beyond sub-zero.

There are two chains, a cam chain and an oil pump/balancer chain. I've replaced both due to engine noise... The pump chain was at the specified wear limit, while the cam chain was significantly stretched. This had resulted in a horrible rubbing/chafing/thrashing noise at idle, but only when hot (all sounded fine when the engine was cold and/or the revs were above around 1800 RPM). The tensioners are driven by oil pressure, so as the oil pressure drops the tensioning force also drops.

I suppose the noise could be from your pump chain, but otherwise it doesn't sound like the cam chain to me. The I-CTDI will get noisy at higher mileages and this doesn't mean something's about to snap. Most chain failures on these that I've heard about have come out of the blue and it's always been the pump chain (which can then cause breakage of the cam chain).

Bones126 likes this.
  7. Crv23 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks zebster, I think I'm being a bit paranoid tbh. The more I use it the better it seems to drive. It's not happy when cold but soon as it's warm it's much improved.

8. Crv23 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I drove a shorter distance the other day and can confirm that the rattling noise disappears when the car is warm. It stays for about 25 minutes then nearly disappears until the next morning, or when it's gone cold again.

9. chunkymonkey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gary Lincs
    As Seb said 5w30 is fine infact it was a Honda recommendation then they aligned us to Europe where it gets much colder so recommend 0w30 to everyone, as has been said we don't get really cold winters as the do in places like Norway, so the former is fine. My dealer puts 5w30 in mine and it runs very well. I would say just drive it and don't worry about it but just be mindful that to get it checked if it does get noiser. From what I have read it was earlier engines that suffered the most and from 2007 Honda had redesigned the chain tension devices to counter the problem.

Al Star and Zebster like this.
  10. Crv23 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm going to just drive it now, it's like I'm looking for problems sometimes. Every time I read on the forum about other peoples issues I get over sensitive about the car and think something is going to breakdown.

Thanks for the input chunkymonkey, I will keep an eye on things but probably going to take a step back and drive the car until something goes pop.

11. chunkymonkey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Forums are great places but they can be a little off putting too, there are thousands of these engines on the road and the percentage of them with chain problems is in my opinion low.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Really! low percentage if that assertion based on facts or an opinion? Not to have an argument over this oil pump chain failure in I-CTDI engine is rampant on high mileage cars. On the I-DTEC so far there have been a few cases but down to poor maintenance. This sort of flippant comments "It will be fine" make the situation worse . You can read the countless threads on here where people have done 200K odd miles on the original chain changing the engine oil at 4k miles and using YES the correct grade of oil which sorry has to 0w-30.

13. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

14. chunkymonkey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

My dealer keeps telling me 5w30 is fine and Honda only recommended 0w30 to bring us into line with Europe, told by the service manager it does not get cold enough in this country to warrant 0w30? So who's advice do i take?

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It has been time and time discussed time and time again and this subject has been talked to death.

Have a look at this http://hondakarma.com/threads/engine-oil-specification-for-dpf-i-dtec.29/live?page=1 open the PDF for black and white proof from the horses mouth.

16. chunkymonkey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks will have a look

17. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Buy 25l of 0-30 fully synthetic from Lubetec through this forum and change it every 6k.
    Works for me!

Pete C.

Nels likes this.
  18. Crv23 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

19. RTI Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Moldova, Republic Of RTI Chisinau
    Isn't the engine rattle (~2000 RPM) related to pilot injection? I don't exactly recall, but the issue has been explained. Every I-DTEC /ctdi has this "issue"

20. Crv23 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That's what I thought too but the rattle stops when the engine is warm. There is a kind of crackling sound at low revs which must be the pilot injection cycle, but the rattle is more metallic and louder. Only when cold though.