Engine & Gearbox 2.2 i-CTDi Oil at Side of Engine

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by zofo69, Wednesday 29th Aug, 2012.

1. zofo69 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi everyone while servicing my 08 ICTDI accord I took off the under tray and was looking around the engine from below and I noticed oil on auxiliary belt side. Did anyone every have a problem like this before and is it bad news.

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi an welcome to AOC

This is a common and annoying problem which can be easily fixed. Oil leaks from the auxiliary belt side are down to the inspection hatch for the timing chain item 2 see image below.

There is no gasket or seal there, it bonded together with a thin layer of gasket bond. it case of removing the hatch cleaning all the mating surfaces cleaning it thoroughly and reassembling with a suitable bond resistant to heat and oil. Allow an hour or two for it to cure before stating the engine.

Threebond or Honda bond are ideal gasket bond to use on this.

Job done , you may want to get the area steam cleaned before the work makes the job easier.

i-CTDi CHAIN CASE (DIESEL) (-'05 ) AOCUK.JPG

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi were you able to find the source of the of the oil leak ? if you need further help please ask,either way just let us know.:Thumbup:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Any feedback its been some time we had an update from you? I would be nice if you could drop a few words :Smile:

5. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Many thanks Ichiban I will look at this as a possible source of my minor oil leak on my FR-V Diesel.

After I bought it I did an oil change and the plastic cover under the car was covered in oil. I cleaned everything down with brake clean and put a big bit of cardboard underneath the car every night. After 3 days I saw a drop of oil 2 cm in diameter. Need to get undernaeth and inspect where the oil is coming from.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Get some pictures up of the area it will help.

7. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Ok Ichiban, took some photos of my oil leak below what are your thoughts? the diagram below is what my chain cover looks like. I rekon my leak is from item 3 in the diagram, looks like a PITA to get off!

E__4110 (1).
    sump plug - no oil
    2013-04-20 12.20.14.

moving right - no oil
    2013-04-20 12.20.28.

further right - no oil
    2013-04-20 12.22.02.

beginning of black plate behind lower pulley - some oil sweat
    2013-04-20 12.26.28.

right of black plate -BINGO
    2013-04-20 12.27.18.

inspection chamber (item 2 in diagram above) & top left of black plate - no oil
    2013-04-20 12.26.48.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Saturday 20th Apr, 2013
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Still can't say where the oil is leaking with the oil leak it shows the oil is leaking regularly .. It could be one of the seals but may need a wide angle shot or get someone to look at locally .. If you get the area steam cleaned then see where it leaks with the engine idling.

9. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks ichiban,

cleaned the area with brake cleaner will idle the car and try and catch the leak in the act.

10. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Caught it weeping a little from the black plate:

2013-04-21 14.05.52.

It only happens when the engine is cold. Once its warmed up the leaking stops, idled it for ages with some revving, no leaks apart from what you can see in the pic. After I leave the car for a few hours it weeps s a little more from the bolt to the right (no pic).

I've bought some powerbond sealer/adhesive and have gone round the black hatch as much as I can.

Hoping it works because getting the crank pulley of is going to be a PITA but it's well within my meager DIY skills.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Ideally you want that hatch removed cleaned and sealed up ..the band aid jobby with sealer will not last for ever.

12. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes, I guess it is a temporary fix at best.

I need an air gun to get that crank pulley-off. One of my distant relatives own's a small garage in Birmingham so will pay him a visit when I am down next. I've seen clips on the internet where the engine is started with a breaker bar on the crank nut but that looks dangerous. Getting the drive belt off and on is a major pain as well. I changed it to the shorter one and linked two spanners to get access & leverage on the tensioner I used all my strength and managed to get it off/on but I bent one of the spanners!

13. Topper Harley Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

There is a tool for holding the crank pulley while you open the bolt.

14. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I got round to replacing the crank seal but it still leaks from the black plate. I can't get the plate off due to special bolts and from what I can see the only thing feeding this oil is the crank.

No oil around seal area, black plate edges look like a mess but that is partly due to me slapping some gasket sealer on it when I bought the car.The oil does seem to be streaming down.

NR0ag2U.

Back side of pulley has no oil either

SeBFLL8.
    Looks like the black plate can still leak after the seal is changed:

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham