Engine & Gearbox 2.2 i-CTDi

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by mattyg, Tuesday 3rd Mar, 2015.

1. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

Hi guys I'm looking at buying the Mrs A FR-V to run the kids round in .I am looking at the 2.0 petrol and converting to gas as I have done before with a few of my Honda or the diesel model. I have been a bit anti diesel due to bad experiences in the past with common rail engines what is this lump like? What should I look out for and are they generally reliable or am I going to suffer premature injector failure, DPF stuff and other crap. Sorry to sound a bit negative but I honestly believe all this eco stuff is a conspiracy. Not so long ago you bought a diesel safe in the knowledge that the body would rot away long before the engine gave up, and then the engine could run for another 20 years pumping water out of a well In Africa.
    your thoughts good and bad would be appreciated as always.
    Thanks matt

Bones126 likes this.
  2. Ben28 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Ben Shetland
    What I've seen here is look after it with oil changes and it'll look after you.
    mine is going strong. And tbh I can't afford to change the oil as regular as I should so if she croaks then it's on me.
    I don't think UK models have DPF if Someone could confirm that...
    I let mine sit for a bit before driving and shutting off. And I don't hammer it often. I've got high hopes. my 2 cents :Smile:

Ben.

3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I don't believe the I-CTDI engines in the UK have a DPF.
    Unless you can find one that's been looked after, I would go for the petrol option.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I-CTDI engines don't have DPF but I-DTEC engines do (the FR-V diesels will all be ICTDI).

@mattyg converting an FR-V to LPG is a great idea, you'll get great economy out of it and you still have the uber reliability of the K series engine.

5. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks for the replies up to now no major problems with the diesel then. I am going to have a look at a few at the weekend hopefully and give them a drive,there are quite a few low mileage petrol cars around at the moment and I am dead tempted with the log. I'm also thinking of converting it myself if I get one. I know I am more than capable of doing it and then maybe getting someone to calibrate it for me.

6. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Can't really advise which way to go but if it helps, I have a 2.2 ICTDI with 70k on the clock. It runs great and has no oil leeks and doesn't use much oil either. With a car full and luggage it will sit in cruise control on the motorway all day doing around 70 up and down hills, on a long journey this should give you around 40 MPG. The diesel torque is fantastic though, pulls up hills with a full load with no issues.

Converting to gas is an economical way if you can do the conversion yourself, but on whole I don't think you'll be disappointed with the FR-V as a car generally if you need the seating capacity and still gain the used of the boot too.

7. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Mine is the diesel Sport, had it 2 1/2 years and put 29k on it so far ( now done 53k) some of that with a caravan on the back. I change the oil every 6 months and bought 25 litres from Exol to keep the cost down. Changing all the fluids and filters (and a new EGR valve courtesy of a Honda update) when I got it vastely improved what was already a good car. I average 44 MPG ( but not with the 'van on!) and have bought 4 new tyres (Avons).
    Brilliant car, NOTHING has broken, fallen off or otherwise failed and I hope to keep it a couple more years.

Buy one! ;-)

Nels likes this.
  8. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    @mattyg - I have a CTDi with almost 100k on the clock. (see my garage entry). She has been perfectly reliable and never ever failed me or the family once and put us on the side of the road. Had to repair the VSA module as that went wrong, but it cost me less than 200 quid fixing it myself, and had the exhaust manifold replaced by Honda (a known fault).

Make sure it has full service history, as with any car, look after it and it will look after you. Regular oil changes are a must, I do mine around every 6k or 6 months whichever comes first.

Its quiet, refined, cruises along quite nicely, very happy with it and I normally get bored with a car after a couple of years but I have had her for five and still love her. She has plenty of grunt behind her.

Nels likes this.
  9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

It's all about how well the car and engine has been looked after. I've seen some shockingly poorly maintained K series engines (normally in Civic EP3s) where bad oil maintenance has led to timing chain issues.

So as long as the engine has been well serviced, doesn't matter if it's petrol or diesel it should last. Looking for a well maintained car is the key to getting one that will last.

10. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    I'm on my second I-CTDI and have no complaints. Stick to the advice already given about regular 0w30 oil changes, fluid changes etc and you shouldn't go wrong.

I've also had the cracked exhaust manifold problem but Honda fixed free of charge even although my car was out of warranty. Very good service.

My concern if buying a diesel would be how well has it been looked after? I reckon there's more of a risk of buying a problematic diesel than a problematic petrol.

11. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

how well suited is the petrol engine to the FR-V? That has to be a greater consideration than say an accord.

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I'd imagine the 2.0 litre is plenty pokey enough to lug a big old FR-V chassis around.

13. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I really like the low end grunt of the diesel good for city driving and easy overtaking on the motorway, even when fully ladened.

The thought of having to ring the neck of the petrol engine to get similar performace really puts me off. The FR-V and the diesel engine are a good marriage.

Bones126 likes this.
  14. Princepugh Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom David Sheffield
    I suppose we're talking torque, which the diesel has in spades over the Petrol. I can only comment from the 1.8 i-VTEC petrol perspecive (R18) which although not big on torque is a free spinning and willing motor which transports myself, the wife and our 4 kids around with no bother. I'm not really a big diesel fan - living in a city which stinks of the things - if you're happy with the NOx and PM output then go for it, otherwise I think you'll find the 1.8 petrol is a happily reliable little sewing machine.

PP

15. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks guys looked at one last night and it was a right dog I guess you have to kiss a few frogs before you find a prince.

Bones126, Nighthawk and SpeedyGee like this.
  16. Nighthawk Guest

Whats your budget if you don't mind me asking? We love having a little "find the right car game"

17. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

Ha ha i like the sound of that!
    I don't want to spend much as we are moving house soon and need all the cash we can get. I was hoping to get something for 5 to 6 grand I really think that a petrol would be more suited to our needs, utopia would be an ex but they seem to be real strong money. Last night's car was a diesel ex and maybe my expectations are too high but it really was a mess I have just sold my legend and it was in good nick so maybe something with cloth, but lower mileage full service and looked after that would last a few years hopefully

18. Nighthawk Guest

Nels likes this.
  19. mattyg Premium Member Club Supporter

Hi thanks but I'm looking for a FR-V

20. Nighthawk Guest

Ohhh ooops, my bad, for some reason I forgot you stated that in your original post, :Wub: