Engine & Gearbox 2.2 vtec clutch

Discussion in '5th Generation (1994-1997) [Rover 600, Isuzu Aska]' started by jonnyboy, Friday 15th Aug, 2014.

1. jonnyboy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jonny
    hi guys, right i have a 1997 2.2 VTEC with just short of 200k on the clock, it has recently started having clutch issues. the pedal isnt as firm or springy as it used to be, and it no longer fully engages when pedal fully pressed. (it does however engage slightly. if in 1st with clutch pressed it will very slowly edge forward) am i looking at a new clutch job or is it more likely the slave/master cylinder? i had a close look at the pedal itself and there is a little excess movement side to side, is this normal or could this be causing the hydrolic not to work properly? i also checked the fluid level which seemed fine to me, and no signs of any leakages. Thanx in advance

2. jonnyboy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jonny
    hi guys, right i have a 1997 accord 5g 2.2 VTEC with just short of 200k on the clock, it has recently started having clutch issues. the pedal isnt as firm or springy as it used to be, and it no longer fully engages when pedal fully pressed. (it does however engage slightly. if in 1st with clutch pressed it will very slowly edge forward) am i looking at a new clutch job or is it more likely the slave/master cylinder? i had a close look at the pedal itself and there is a little excess movement side to side, is this normal or could this be causing the hydrolic not to work properly? i also checked the fluid level which seemed fine to me, and no signs of any leakages. Thanx in advance

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Could be clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder. Maybe worth doing a clutch fluid flush with new fluid and see how it is after that.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Basically mate at that mileage I reckon your clcuth master cyclinder is duff change the fluid and see if that helps, otherwise reaplce the clcuth kit and CMC and it will be brandnew.

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

@jonnyboy can you not please create multiple threads for the same issue !!

6. jonnyboy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jonny
    Thanx for the advice guys, ill get some fluid tomorrow and give it a try :Smile: sorry speedygee is totally forgot I already posted, been looking after 5 new born puppies that literally never let you sleep lol

7. jonnyboy Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jonny
    took the CMC off and it was past it, it didnt seal anymore. Had a browse online to find a CMC repair kit available for the 4th Generation but not 5th :Frown: tried to repair myself but the oring i tried was too big and got the piston stuck inside so ordered a new one from euro car parts. cheapest place to find one at £48. Just a bit of advice if anyone can help, whats the best way to bench bleed before fitting? Cheers :Smile:

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

CMC is simpler in design than a brake MC, I'd say there's no need to bench bleed it.

Let see what others think.