Engine & Gearbox 2.2 vtec f22b1 won't start after oil change

Discussion in '5th Generation (1994-1997) [Rover 600, Isuzu Aska]' started by scottray, Thursday 24th Jan, 2013.

1. scottray Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ohio
    I changed the oil in my car a few days ago and now it won't start. Im getting fuel and spark what is goin on here?

2. scottray Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ohio
    I did start it cold pull it into the garage

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham

Sorry I didnt get that Scott. Was that "you couldn't start it and pulled it into the garage" ?

4. scottray Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ohio
    I started it while it was really cold outside and didnt wait for it to warm up just moved it from the front of my building to the rear bay door. I suspected that it was flooded(255lph fuel pump/460cc injectors) so i pulled all of the plugs out and the main relay for the fuel pump and cranked it over a few times but still no luck. Im completly stumped on this fuel+spark+air= running car right?

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

fuel+spark+air+good compression (and all with correct timing).

If need to crank without fueling its easier to pull the connectors to the four injectors.

Check your distributor for cracks, check your rotor arm.

Spray some WD40 or equivalent onto the HT leads (and dizzy), this will repel any moisture from the leads.

If it still doesn't start check the timing belt.

6. scottray Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ohio
    So just to confirm. You want me to take the dizzy off and spray it with wd40 and also the plug wires?

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Check the dizzy for cracks. Spray the ht wires and the dizzy as it is..ie not removed

8. scottray Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ohio
    Okay ill try that and let you know what happens

9. scottray Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ohio
    So i pulled the plug wires out of the dizzy and there was alot of corrosion around the dizzy (ports) one of the plug wire ends wasnt even attached to its port. plan on towing it home today to work on it here in my driveway

10. scottray Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ohio
    I found that i have very weak spark. Whats the culprit?

11. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

12. scottray Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ohio
    Okayh so i changed the distributer out now i have really strong spark, injectors are pulsing, and compression is good but still won't start...lost and about to give up on this thing

13. scottray Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ohio
    Also all of the grounds are good. There are no codes and I've tryed 2 different ECU's

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Have you removed the timing belt cover and checked the timing marks to ensure the belt hasn't slipped ?

15. scottray Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ohio
    No. Its highly unlikely that it did though but i will have to check anything is possible

16. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    You have possibility to program your keys in the 2nd ECU ? Just changing the ECU = never starting engine as the ECU will not recognise its (2) immobi key codes.
    Are you 100% (!!) procent sure the inertia switch is not actived? In such case you will have the symptoms you see: spark, but not starting (no enough fuel pressure!!). You do will see some fuel because the injectors will open and some fuel will enter. But by far not enough to start a cold engine. And after some attempts almost nothing left to inject.

17. scottray Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ohio
    inertia switch?

18. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    It's a switch that cuts the fuel pump in case of accident. Normally it's located in the engine bay. I have no details for this older model. You might have hit it when doing the oil change. Just push on it will do a reset. For some models (like Civic 2006 onwards) it's behind a cover in the dashboard. Check your manual.

19. scottray Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

ohio
    Im getting plently of fuel and the injectors are pulsing as they should

20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

How rather bizzare, so everything seems to be in order then :Unknown:

Is the battery fully charged ?