General 2.4 = 41.28mpg - Good Driving or Good Engine?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by moi, Wednesday 24th Jun, 2015.

1. moi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Gm Gardne Tavistock
    ...2.4 Manual Tourer ('04) full Honda History including all MOT at 92k, 50 mile gentle run to work and back each day...so is there a correlation between a good healthy engine and MPG or is it simply down to driving style & conditions?

Added pic of what my 2.4 can do on half a tank ...

WP_20150619_001.

2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    That is an excellent figure, not far short of what I get from my diesel. Obviously driving style, road conditions and having a healthy engine are all vital to good economy.

How are you actually calculating that?

3. moi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

...brim to one click cut off, number of litres of fuel added divided by 4.54 to give number of gallons divided by number of miles covered...most tanks show over 40 MPG...I also had 2 Diesel Touers both of which gave me about 41 ish MPG average...and they are as rough as rats (course & noisey) compared to a 2.4 ...trouble is if I wanted to upgrade to an 8th Generation' model I would be unable to find a 2.4 Manual Tourer & I have looked regularly ? Having said that I have no reason to change as ine literally runs like a swiss watch...not even a hint of any issues...

Zebster likes this.
  4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    So you're actually getting about the same MPG whether you use a 2.4 or a diesel Accord?

Hopefully someone can explain that!

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's got to be down to great engine and great driving discipline on your behalf. I enjoy my K24 too much to get anywhere near those figures :Smile:

Nighthawk likes this.
  6. moi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

...my commute , it has to be said, is very easy on the car and is mostly 5th and 6th gear stuff...Clearly, I'd be worse off if doing mostly town driving and short distances ? I do enter the VTEC zone however which whilst enjoyable (so smooth) is far less of a kick over and far quieter than on my old Accord Type-R which went bonkers !

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Mines running a base map and VTEC cross over is 4900ish so lower than stock but yes, it's still no match for an Accord Type-R.

8. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Wow that is amazing MPG figures!!!

I get around 350 per tank LOL but I do have a lead foot and have hit the rev limiter a couple of times lately in my tourer.

My previous car was a 1.8 Civic Aerodeck 1999 model. That had a great VTEC kick to and the noise was intoxicating. The 2.4 seems to have more go but a much quieter smoother kick.
    I love it !!!!

9. moi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My B in L had one of those Civics in burgundy ! (about 175bhp weren't they?) went like stink and sounded great...just looked, well, just plain & boring !

10. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Yeah they didnt look like much but for those in the know... ;-)
    By far the best snickety gearbox I have ever known in it too. Could change gear as fast as a sequential motor bike shifter.... brought a smile to my face every time. yes were 175bhp.

Was a bit rolly poly in the corners though. The accord is a vast handling improvement and way more refined.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  12. moi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

It really is a brilliant & under rated car in so many ways...just a shame that there are so few 2.4 manual tourers around and I have never seen an 8th Generation' (2.4,Tourer , Manual) on the second hand market and I have looked...I am not looking to change it because other than a newer one there is nothing else (other marques) I'd want to swap it with....just love Hondas too much...fantastic engineering and quality, especially the Jap stuff...

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Totally agree the car is equally rapid when it needs to be and superb fuel efficiency when driven sensibly.Honda are the largest engine maker in the world for nothing.

14. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

couldn't agree more. I have looked for a next gen 2.4 but they just don't seem to be any for sale. They are all diesels which makes me sad. I couldn't cope with an oil burner.....

15. foxleys Premium Member Club Supporter

England Jersey
    Wish we lived on the UK mainland (?!) as I only get about 25mpg with my Auto 2.4 in Jersey, sniff. No motorway here, 40mph speed limit and a lot of stop/start driving.

I do get 40/50% better MPG when in UK mainland or Europe.

Wifies 13 year old 1.4 CVT Jazz appears to be doing 44mpg!!

Both cars built in Japan!

Ichiban likes this.
  16. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I reckon 25 to 30 MPG for a K24 would be about normal. I can only imagine that 'moi' has a trip meter that massively exaggerates.

I don my tin helmet and await incoming flak.

17. Kris81 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I've had 41mpg once in my 2.4 and that was a gentle cruise not going over 60mph, I average 32.5mpg going off my fuel app.

Screenshot_2015-06-28-22-00-44.

18. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I've never really tried to get the best economy out of mine, highest I've had is 37MPG - I'm sure 45mpg would be achievable for a hypermiler:

19. moi Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

...Incoming ! No trip computer (PFL) just good old fashioned calculations (which is the only real way of calculating MPG accurately) coupled with a light foot & easy route to work and back !

& Trip computers generally over predict (are optimistic) by about and probably at least 10 ish % thus 37mpg is probably more like 32-33 MPG !

20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

You can get some great economy figures out of the K24 engine as shown by the posts above.