Fuel Efficiency 2.4 Accord Are Not Fuel Efficient! Really?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Thursday 19th Sep, 2013.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This is going up and down the M62 for a week. It was boring driving the car between 60 and 65 MPH. hope this helps someone to learn the 2.4 is really good on fuel if you drive it like an OLD man. 603 miles and had 39 miles before fuel up!

image.

Last edited: Wednesday 13th Aug, 2014
  2. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    I'm not getting that results from my 2.2 :Whistle:but I have a bit heavier foot :Wink:

3. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I get better than that from urban driving with a tank of shell nitro. If I drove at 60-65 on a motor way I'd be in the 60's.

I'll shut up now in case you tamper with my injector calibrations to teach me a lesson for bragging. :Whistle:

But fair play for having the patience to drive like an old man for a whole tank of petrol. I thought on a good run the 2.4 was supposed to get closer to 45-50 MPG??

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Imagine doing that in an LPG'd 8th Generation Accord. That'll work out to be the cost equivalent of about 70-75MPG. Easily trumping the DERVs :Happy: :Rolf:

John Dickson likes this.
  5. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    If you have to tamper with your fuel to beat a derv it's a hollow victory. :Wink:

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Hahaha, very good Doc ! But ... the clue in is in the name Liquid Petroleum Gas, still petrol by nature :Rolf:

Last edited: Saturday 21st Sep, 2013
  7. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    But... Petroleum starts off as crude oil and once it's refined is turned into petrol, diesel, LPG, kerosene, and even jet fuel.

So petrol and LPG are petroleum by nature not the other way round.

Mixing your oils?! You sound like a derv owner putting in 2 stroke. :Whistle::Rolf:

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Was meant to be more of a comical comment rather than technical fact.

9. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thats is very impressive, 603 miles... I wish I had the patience to drive like that for such a result.
    My right foot is far to heavy and cruise at considerably more leptons per hour over the 65.

Just out of interest the speedo in the pics looks like yours is the face lift model as mine is a 2004 older style. So how much to fill the tank? I average about £70 from empty on my 2004 model so am wondering if its the same for the facelifts?

Ichiban likes this.
  10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I am back to driving normally 70 ish and above and the mileage has taken a hammering averaging 31MPG..

I won't be driving like that again ..well not till I am 90! :Rolf:

accordheritage likes this.
  11. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    I did a trip to Co. Kerry last weekend. 308 miles each way

Constant 80 mph on the way down @ 2950rpm - 30.7mpg
    Varied from 80 to 100 on the way home - 30.8mpg

I am wondering where other people have found the sweet spot as I am yet to find a way of getting more than 30.8 from mine. Daily driving is seeing around the 27mpg mark

12. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I find every spot from 1Krpm to 7.5krpm to be sweet in the 2.4... such a smooth refined engine. ;-) But in terms of fuel economy I think anywhere between 2 and 3krpm is best in mine and keeping a constant speed with little in the way of acceleration.
    But I don't do this often....

PeteMM likes this.
  13. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I've found the economy a little strange also, I did try driving super economically for a tank and found my mileage was worse than just driving normally which didn't make sense to me. Enthusiastic driving does knock about 70-100 miles off the economy for me but then I didn't buy a 2.4 petrol for economy lol

14. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

41-42MPG in my 2.2 I-DTEC. 2.4 i-VTEC is cheaper to buy by approx. £1,400 therefore loads of free fuel by not going Satan Fuel.

Or some nice Mugen kit....

Yes my car is just out the wrapper (around 450miles and no I haven't opened her up yet I'm being mechanically sympathetic to the new engine) and I hope things improve with a few miles but I'm glad I got my Satan fuel for price of 2.0 petrol otherwise, so far, I'd be slightly miffed at spending £2,300 to add 10 on my MPG display!

I've been driving similarly on A1 no more than 65-70MPH; no more than 2,000-2,300 RPM when accelerating... :Unknown:

An expensive 10 digits me thinks!

Driving my old 2.0 i-VTEC enthusiastically the lowest it would ever drop was 31-32MPG and that was putting the hammer down a bit. Treating the new I-DTEC with cotton wool gloves and 41-42MPG combined is all I get! If I were to drive at 50MPH on the A1 I may get 50+ MPG but would certainly also get a lot of sign language from other drivers for being a hazard!

DERV = Drinking, Expensive to fuel, Rip off, Vehicle by my experiences so far.

Hope this improves drastically with miles or I've bought a thirsty (based on the expectations everyone seems to have for DERV) and expensive to fuel car! Given price of diesel these days (it's the dearest fuel on the forecourt) the diesel bubble is fast deflating me thinks.

Last edited: Monday 23rd Sep, 2013
    Ichiban likes this.
  15. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'm not a fan of this guy's site but this bit is quite telling: Real MPGs | Honest John

I notice that Honda are far more honest about their achievable MPG and a great example of the opposite is Vauxhall. My mate is going ape because his Astra claims an official combined MPG of 62mpg, yet he can barely reach 45mpg on the motorway and that's with everything switched off (A/C etc). But looking at the Astra in the above link and it appears the real MPG is in the 70-80% mark. I appreciate that the method of testing is artificial, but it's funny how some manufacturers seem to have more accurate claims.

16. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Here are a couple of pictures from my 2.0 Accord MPG display.

WP_000310. WP_000338.

The first picture was after a short trip down A1 and a bit of "round the doors driving" at each end. Taken more to record the temperature outside rather than the MPG figure.

The second picture is the MPG reading over much more mixed driving over a longer time period. Now a picture taken tonight in my new I-DTEC WP_000366.

Bear in mind the first two are from just driving normally. No concerns for keeping revs and stresses on a new not-run-in-yet engine and the last picture is a result of mixed driving on A1 and round the doors but constantly bearing in mind minimising revs and stress on a not-yet-run in engine. What happens when my I-DTEC is run in and I start driving normally? she's gonna drink like there's no tomorrow I reckon! Unless there's a massive improvement with a few miles I recon I'm on my second diesel Accord - i.e. my first and my last :lol:If there is a massive improvement in MPG I will stand corrected and let you all know. I'm not convinced it's gonna happen though!

- - - Updated - - -

Everyone I know with a Vauxhall all say the same - Vauxhalls like to drink!

17. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Meh I averaged 42 MPG from Birmingham to Leeds and back with my 2.4 Accord driving like a granny.
    won't be doing it again though, just wanted to see what's the best I can do.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi John
    don't hold me on this but think brand new engine need to be driven hard (there is a reason for this but can't remember now for the life of me why.
    CJ knows ins and outs.I know it apply for petrol engines but not sure is it the same for diesel.

18. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hi Zoran,

You're not the first person I've heard say that actually. Some people don't run cars at all in but whether that causes problems later or not I honestly don't know. Cars definitely not like they were in the past where you had to do no more than 50MPH for the first 500miles and get oil and filter change.

19. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well I think you saloon boys if drove your sensibly you will find beating my range easily as you don't have that much of extra real estate to haul behind your rear seats.

As for this so called sweet spot for fuel efficiency it does not exist will in my eyes. You have to drive the car using little to no brakes , backing off the throttle on in declines to maintain the same momentum and to build up momentum before inclines.

You have to constantly adapt the throttle on the road conditions you cannot achieve that fuel efficient by sticking at one speed range. The M62 is not a flat piece of tarmac it has all the ranges of terrain and you past over Saddleworth Moor which is the highest motorable pass in England. so going down the tops I am feathering the throttle to save fuel...

I am sure on the flat M1 you could surpass that record easily.