Suspension, Steering and Brakes 2.4 Type-S odd driving feel.

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by GavTheMighty, Sunday 12th Jan, 2014.

1. GavTheMighty Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hard to pinpoint this one but here goes, Changed tyres recently from cheap crap to decent tyres all round and it made a massive difference (17's all round by the way) So since I got my Honda Accord Type-S saloon everything has been good except the way it reacts to bumps in the road etc basicly it was tramlining a lot. So once I got the new decent tyres all problems went away and everything was back to driving glory that was around a month ago........However in the last week I noticed the tracking seems to have gone a little and it's pulling and the wheel has a little vibration at speed on the motorway. First off I can't see a reason for this as the tyres are new and the balancing and tracking were done when the tyre's were put on also had the car hunter aligned 8 months ago.

Now and this is where I am worried I can't tell if I am being paranoid or feeling or hearing stuff that isn't there but since the tracking seemed to go out it feels like I am feeling the road more speed bumps etc like the car isn't absorbing bumps as well and I also seem to be hearing road noise more. Not sure if this is all paranoia or real and linked to some issue.

I was wondering if it's all connected to suspension such as springs, shock absorbers?

Anyway any suggestions or idea's welcome

Cheers Gav.

Last edited: Sunday 12th Jan, 2014
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Check for worn complaince bushes,drop links or even alignmemt .what is to say the alignmement is not out again in 8 months?

3. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Alignment and track rod ends is my suggestion.

Drop links will cause noise and feedback through the wheel but they will have no baring on the tramlining.

Mine tramlines a little, but she is setup with 30 or 60 seconds of tow in, I can't remember which. It makes her feel a little (and I do mean the tinyest amount. Don't want CJ getting worried) unstable on the straights but the cornering and turn in is vastly improved.

Tyres can cause issues too. I'm using Uniroyal Rainsport 2's and although they are great, they have a very soft sidewall, which gives a dull sensation on turn in between 50 and 60 mph. It initially feels like understeer, but once your used too it it is fine but I doubt I'll be using the rain sports again.

In my experience Honda's don't react nicely to cheap tyres or those with swept tread pattern. The blockier the pattern,the more stable the car feels. If it wasn't so wet all the time it's happily run Prada Spec 2's all year round.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    A combination of both complaince bushes ans Drop links will cause it fella.

5. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Okay.

A mechanical linkage that has no baring on the turning moment of the wheel. That will cause noise, it will NOT cause tramlining.

The only time a drop link will assist any form of steering is during higher articulation moments. It prevents these from happening and therefore to an extent helps prevent bump steer. But that is the ONLY work the ARB does in relation to the actual steering.

Compliance bushes. When worn allow the wheels to turn slightly without altering the steering wheel. Which in turn is felt as tram lining.

Compliance bushes, track rod ends, upper and lower ball joints and the upper arm inner bushes. Those are the mounts that cause steering issues. NOT droplinks.

Proven by the fact you can remove a droplink. Or infact the complete ARB and still have steering. Remove any of the bushes/joints above and see how far you get.

Droplinks merely allow for ideal fitment of the ARB with in turn keeps the car flat during cornering. They play a small part in adjusting the roll centre of the car and if you turnbuckle one end of it, you can adjust it to suit your driving. But what it does not do is play any part in how your car tracks or steers in the scenario above by the OP

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Really on a adverse camber road with worn bushes? you won't get tamilining?

7. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Yes you will. That's what I said.

But droplinks play no part in that. As the 2mm difference in roll (between a new dl and worn dl) is not going to cause any adverse steering angles. It just causes noise.

The accord feels somewhat detached from the road anyway. Hence you will only ever know a droplink is gone because of noise, there will be no other adverse effects until it falls off.

8. GavTheMighty Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the advice fella's I will look into it and see what I find.