Pre-Purchase 2.4 Type-S

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by StuH, Saturday 14th Jun, 2014.

1. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    Brother is looking for a large estate for running about so naturally pointed him towards the Accord. Had a look at a 2006, 55 plate Estate today, 72k FSH. Car was straight apart from a non-working aircon, this was quite easy to fault find as the condenser had literally disintegrated with only a couple of pipes left, the rest was in bits on the sump guard! I actually have one so not a deal breaker. Took it for a surprise and got to say I was surprised how much better it felt to drive than my EX Auto, the performance in particular was impressive; it felt like a completely different engine to mine, I loved the gearchange and it just felt more together for some reason. I like autos but this has made me think about things..

2. Chrispy Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Chris Nottinghamshire
    I would personally love the 2.4 Saloon 7th Generation, I think the shape looks spot on but tax, insurance and running costs play a big factor for me, so unfortunately I'm stuck with my dirty diesel until I can muster up some more pennies for a new shape dtec :Wink:

:Grin:

3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

The 2.4 unit is favoured by many on here.
    If looked after, she'll serve your brother well.
    If money wasn't an issue I would have the 2.4 Ex 8th Generation.
    We can but dream :Wink:

4. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

I have the 2.4 EX but it's auto, I was surprised the difference in performance between the two. I had read that there's no difference in suspension settings but the type-s definitely felt tighter.

5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Sorry, yes I did read that, just being dumb again :Frown:
    @SpeedyGee and @DeviateDefiant both have K24's. Speedy has the EX and DD's the Type-S.

DeviateDefiant and SpeedyGee like this.
  6. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

He's going looking at this today Honda Accord 2.4 i-VTEC ( 17in Alloys ) Type-S | eBay, more than 30k on that one we looked at yesterday http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...esearchad/used,nearlynew,new/page/1?logcode=p. The lower miles one needs the aircon sorting though I have the parts. It has four new Falken tyres but knacked alloys. My brother offered 3.5k and I reckon another £500 is needed for a service with genuine parts I'll get from HH, wheel refurbish and labour on the aircon. Unfortunately I can't go and look at the higher miles one with him.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    What's included in the £500 service you mention ?

8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Both Tourer's you've been looking at are right before the Facelift was introduced, I'd strongly recommend looking for one just a few months newer or more. Unfortunately the 2.4s are an awful lot rarer in Facelift, something ridiculous like 6-8x less sold than the Pre-Facelift. Still there's a few about at any given time.

When I was looking for a Facelift K24 Saloon in Manual (either Type-S or Exec), there was only 3 available in the country - my first choice sold quickly, I snapped mine up when 5 people had already booked viewings (some were travelling from Scotland, other end of the country etc).

If you read the first post on my current car's thread, I listed a lot of the Facelift benefits, it's worth looking into as the price difference will be negligible.

9. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

I avidly watch Auto trader, its been a daily ritual for years and I can say that I've only ever seen one facelift Type-S tourer for sale in the NW, he could go for an EX but ideally wants an S and his budget is really 4k.

Speedy, he wants a full service with Honda parts, my mate will charge about 80ish for the labour and I get what's needed from HH. The first one needs new brake pads, the air con needs sorting and the wheels refurbed. I think I'm being reasonable saying that lot will be the best part of 500 sheets.

10. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

Well it didn't happen. I saw a Subaru Legacy Spec B for sale quite local and suggested he had a quick look at that just for interest. I couldn't make it so waited for his verdict. He was blown away by it and nows sits on his drive. Took it out for a drive and got to say its one proper car from a driving point of view; its indecently quick, much better handling than the Accord and the steering is a joy, but interior quality is poor, the stereo dreadful and lacks that air of class the accord has also crashes over road imperfections which I hate. I'd also be very worried about my license and the amount of fuel I'd use coz that flat six engine was dam addictive and the way it sticks to the road leads to some very quick motoring! I do want to drive it again though...

11. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    Type-S tourers are rare as rocking horse poo.

According to our local dealer there is/was only 3 in Northern Ireland. One being mine.

I love it and could never have a saloon after having it. Although might get a dirty diesel for 2 reasons. 1 the wife can drive it and 2 to wind up @Ichiban

12. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    The Legacy's are fantastic cars to be honest, would love to have one...

13. accordheritage Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England York
    My Type-S is just superb.

The engine is so quiet. Soon to change when it finally get a straight through cannon. Miss my tunnel blips.

Didn't realize how rare they are.

Plus mine is an 04 reg so "cheaper" tax. The 6 speed is great. Very peppy in third. Grin factor 8 out of 10

14. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

If you give the Type-S 8 of 10 for grin factor you should drive the Spec B!

15. accordheritage Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England York
    Scooby does have the grunt but everyone has them. I prefer a car that can hold up in a crowd and be nice on the inside and nice on the outside.

Plus you can only go as fast as the cars in front.

Last edited: Saturday 19th Jul, 2014
  16. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

There's far less Legacy Spec B's than Type-S! The Legacy is far superior drive but the Accord is far more comfy and much better interior. The Legacy's flat six sounds amazing and is incredibly smooth. If I had to choose I'd be torn but probably go for the Spec B.

17. accordheritage Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England York
    If it's a good example go for it.

18. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    The Legacy is far far more rarer than an Accord, infact their best selling model Impreza I bet is more rarer than an Accord, I would love a 3rd or 4th Generation in STI spec, really awesome unique cars.

19. accordheritage Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England York
    That might be. But this is a Honda site not an iccy Scooby site lol

Big up the Accord.

20. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Shouldn't stop us from appreciating other cars, especially others from the glorious land of the rising sun. :Hey::kneel:

DeviateDefiant and FirstHonda like this.