Engine & Gearbox 2 litre petrol engine questions.

Discussion in '3rd Generation (2006-2012)' started by Nitropaul, Tuesday 16th Feb, 2016.

1. Nitropaul Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi. I have just bought a 2008 2.0 i-VTEC CR-V Ex trim with 75k on the clock. Full service history. I am very pleased with it but have a couple of questions that hopefully someone will be able to help with. First is that I have a squeeking clutch pedal but I think I have the answer there. Took the car on a trip at the weekend and averaged 32mpg at 75 ish mph on motorways. Took it easier on way home and got 35.8mpg. Does that sound ok? Last thing is that sometimes when I am cruising and then accelerate it gear, the engine seems to skip a beat and then continue as normal. Any ideas?

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
  3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hi @Nitropaul, from your description it sounds like this could be an EGR issue. If it is could simply be that the the EGR system needs unclogging/cleaning.

5. Nitropaul Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Oh I will look into that. Didn't realise that petrol engines had exhaust gas recirculation on them. Where is the best place to get a workshop manual for a uk model? I have seen workshop manuals for US models.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Some but not all of the K series petrol engines have EGR systems, the R series petrol engines also have EGR.

7. Nitropaul Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I belive my engine to be an r series. It is the SOHC variant that was introduced on the gen3 CR-V. Will MPG improve if I clean the EGR?

8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

A clean EGR should improve MPG.
    :garage:@Nitropaul It will help us to advise you better - See the link on #2

9. Kash Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Kash Nelson
    I'd also say your MPG ain't too shabby, pretty good to be fair

10. Nitropaul Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I was hoping to get closer to 37-39 @ 70mph. Hills kill the consumption. As does cruise control.

11. rikernumber1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phillip Whitstable, Kent
    I've got a 2.0 petrol (auto) - I also didn't realise it had an EGR. For info, I have averaged just under 31mpg over 40K miles of ownership - mainly motorway, and this also includes about 1K towing. The best tank MPG I achieved was 38.31. These figures are calculated i.e. are not from the trip computer, which is normally a little more generous in its readings! I also had mine Terracleaned last year - made no noticeable difference to MPG, but it did seem quieter. I do use cruise control when I can.

12. Nitropaul Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I guess in theory I should be able to get slightly better MPG as a manual gearbox as apposed to automatic. Good going at 32mpg though. Bet that was very light throttle use though. Not sure where under the bonnet to look for erg. I have searched this fourm and someone has done a good guide for the EGR on the 2.2 diesel. Not the same for petrol though.

Rikernumber1 have you had any issues with you front roof blind sticking when opening the shades? Trader got his mechanic to look at when I bought the car which seemed to sort it and now it is sticking again.

13. rikernumber1 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Phillip Whitstable, Kent
    Yes - I did have this issue with the roof blinds and it's a known issue. I spoke to Honda about it and they quoted me around £400 to sort it out. Instead I liberally coated the runners with silicone spray back in 2014, and haven't had any trouble with them since. I may have posted on this somewhere....

14. Nitropaul Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Any problems with the engine mounts or track rod ends on these cars? Sometimes when changing out of second gear whilst cone ring, the car seems to snap the gear change rather than do it smoothly. When I turn up onto my drive or even on a rough gravel track, the car seems a bit noisey around the suspension. Any experiences?