General 2 stroke oil

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by casey jones, Monday 29th Jul, 2013.

1. casey jones Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

As any one any information or experience on adding 2stroke oil to a tank of diesel , checked the price of 2stroke and its not cheap is their any benefits , sorry if this as been covered before

2. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    There is quite a lot of information on the Internet, particularly on the caravan sites, and the Land Rover and Mercedes owners sites. Do a Google search for TSO for diesel engines and you should get a lot of info.

- - - Updated - - -

You can get some details here. http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic878.html

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would personally avoid it on DPF equipped cars wrong mix ratio and city driving may drive up carbon formation. I have had years and years of experience on two stroke engines and they all have to be periodically be decarbonised. That is a very very hard job on a four stroke engine. Once your DPF is coked or your exhaust manifold then you will know know the true meaning of poor acceleration.

4. casey jones Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Apparently you can get a low SARS 2 stroke oil which helps DPF cars?, mines a 7 th gen, that nice man from lubetech recommends 2stroke oil in diesel, it was a comment from him that got me looking in to it, it's used at a low rate, 250 ml per full tank (60 litres)

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well you got it sussed bud.

6. casey jones Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No not really,started this thread to get a general concensus from the members whether it was a good idea or not. Can't admit to having it sussed, but thanks for the compliment !

7. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Yep I use 2 stroke in my tank. I put about 250 - 300 ml in a tank full and I have to say the effects were noticeable almost immediately. The engine runs far smoother, diesel knock has been reduced by around 75%. Better economy and increased lubrication of the fuel pump and injectors. I can say the results have only been good. I've been doing it for 18 months now and I'm more than happy to keep doing it. After putting 2-3 tanks of fuel in with added 2 stroke I then did a tank full without to see if I noticed any difference to make sure it wasn't a placebo effect. The diesel knock was far more pronounced without it when the engine was cold, and this was further exacerbated during colder weather. This to me proved the benefits of adding it.

I spent a long time doing research on this before I tried it as I was very sceptical. There is a lot of info on a land rover forum. As mine is a low mileage engine I wasn't sure if it would make much difference but even on mine it did. I had friend question last month if I was driving a petrol or diesel as it's so quiet lol. I've heard a lot of benefits of it and so far no side effects, even from long term use. Actually long term the benefits only increase. The theory is sound though. In the old days diesel used to have sulphur in it to lubricate the engine and reduce the diesel knock. Then the EU got involved and set emissions levels. This forced the creation of 'low sulphur' diesel which now causes diesels to knock and a poorer combustion burn. Adding 2 stroke simply replaces the removed sulphur and restores the lubrication and the cleaner burn.

I had my car MOT'd in February after running it on 2 stroke for 12 months and my smoke test emissions were: Peak 0.16, Drift 0.01, Average 0.15. These were significantly lower than the previous year. MPG has increased very slightly as well due to it creating a more thorough burn.

I've just put a tank of Shell nitro diesel in it, which I won't be doing all the time, as well as the 2 stroke and the combination has reduced the diesel knock by over 95% now. I get the faintest knock when I initially pull away the 1st time for a couple of seconds. But after that it's silent, to the point where 2 days ago I drove with the radio off and the window down and all I could hear was road noise and the pressure change in the turbo.

I use Comma Semi synthetic 2 stroke oil. It's Jaso FD which is far higher grade than the minimum of Jaso FB I would recommend you use. JASO FD is even suitable for cars fitted with a DPF. It's not cheap, it cost me £5-£6 a litre, but I get 4 tank fills out of it so it's only an extra £1.50 per tank. But I'm sure I could get it cheaper if I shopped around. You can pick 2 stroke up at some supermarkets far cheaper, just make sure it tells you what grade oil it is. TBH I haven't noticed much difference using different types of 2 stroke, just the difference between using it and not.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I would like to see a the exhaust manifold on one of these diesel cars run with 2 stroke oils even if it been running Low SARS.

is it dry carbon or wet?

9. alloy36 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I remember reading about this a couple of years ago when i first bought my car. I tried it and genuinley could not tell any difference.

Maybe i was a newbie to diesel and didn't know what to look for. I may give it another try to see.

10. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    It should be dry carbon as would be normal. The 2 stroke oil is completely burnt off in the combustion process, and as it causes a more thorough burn the soot produced will be less than not using it at all.

I've recently had my EGR valve off and gave it a clean. (Yes there will be a DIY coming as I'm taking the exhaust manifold off soon to clean that as well.) There was a very thin layer of dry soot in the feed pipe to the EGR, which feeds the exhaust gas from the cylinder head into the EGR valve. It was so thin I didn't bother even trying to clean it off as it would have made no difference. That wasn't baked on or hard in any way, in fact it was almost powdery. It wiped off with just a finger so that should be a good indication as to what is going in the exhaust manifold.

The only wet carbon build up on my car is in the intake manifold where the recirculated exhaust gas comes out the EGR and mixes with the oil which has bled past the turbo and through the butterfly valve into the intake. But this is common to all turbo's , petrol and diesel.

11. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    I'm using 2T oil from nearly two years as I found that engine runs smoother and quieter, and there was less smoke after hard accelerating, I'm using all the time Castrol which I bought for £2.5 on Ebay :Smile:

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Looking forward to see the results Doc :Smile:

13. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Is that fully or semi synthetic? And what grade is the oil?

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Any update Doc to when you will do this strip?

15. Brodziu Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Greg Manchester
    fully synthetic, API TC, JASO FC

16. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I'm hoping to do the strip next week. Just need to remember to order an intake manifold gasket from HH first.