Engine & Gearbox 2000 Accord Coupe V6 - Need some help - Engine or Gearbox issue

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Sbk1972, Tuesday 29th Oct, 2013.

1. Sbk1972 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

I have a 2000 v6 coupe. love the car, only done 51K miles. Use it every day and noticed lately that it seems a little hesitant when I accelerate. Around 3K revs, at 60, if I put my foot down slowly nothing happens, keeping putting my foot down and it suddenly catches up, reacts like its got dirty fuel or iffy plugs i.e. coughs / splutters a little. Only seems to do this when hot.

I've noticed this more and more lately so thought I would ask you guys for advice. A couple of questions :-

1) Is there a diag plug somewhere ?? Will the engine record any faults ?? do I need to go to honda to get this reviewed ?
    2) How can I reset the ECU ? Disconnect the battery for 10 hours ? or pull certain fuses ??
    3) Are there any tests I can do to test ?

At first I thought it might be the gearbox. I've read how these can be iffy so I constantly change the oil and did that the other day. Im using Honda's new DW1 oil which is dear ! So, am hoping its not gearbox related.

I have an LPG kit installed on the car, been running it for 10K miles. I first thought it might be this, so ran it on petrol to check and nope it still happens whilst running on petrol, so not LPG. I thought it was gearbox, but if this was slipping then I should hear the engine rev up / make nosie without any movement. The problem I have is that the accelerator does nothing and suddenly the engine reacts and splutters. could it be a throttle sensor ?? any controller valves that need removing and cleaning ?

Any suggests would be great.

Thanks

Simon Keane

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Simon, sorry I don't know a great deal about the V6 engines. I assume your engine is a J30A1 ?

I would start with a throttle body clean and an EGR clean.

Then check condition of ignition system, I assume it is a plug, leads and single coil system.

Also find out if the car has a MAP sensor or a MAF sensor.

Being a 2000 model year car I assume it has OBD1 and not OBD2, AndyB1976 did a post on reading OBD1 codes, search this section for it.

However, it looks like you don't have a check engine light so no code will be stored.

3. Sbk1972 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks speedyGee. I logged into the US Accord site where there seems to be more V6 coupe. Did a few searches and saw a EGR cleaning process that I might try. I've ordered ne plugs, distributor, rota and will see if this helps. I havent got an error codes etheir but I can definitely feel I have a miss fire i.e. like the engine is sucking up dirty fuel and splutters between 2k - 3k revs.
    I will replace the electrical bits then see how it goes. If this fails then I will remove the inlet and clean out the EGR holes / valve, after that I will look at the throttle sensors / inlet side.

Does anyone know how to test the throttle sensors ?

SBK

4. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    SpeedyGee likes this.
  5. Sbk1972 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

Well, I swapped out the distributor, plugs, leads, rota arm. I also cleaned out the inlet EGR hole too. Drove to work today hoping it would be sorted, but no still seems to have issues. Definately think its the throttle sensors now.

SBK

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

You need to monitor the OBD readings when this problem occurs. Something on there will sit out (MAP/MAF reading or TPS reading etc)

7. Sbk1972 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

I brought out the multi meter and took some readings from my TPS. starts at 0.5 and on full throttle is around 4.5 or so. if I do it quickily I get 0 on ful throttle ?? I took note of the readings when I slowly opened the throttle up, the readings slowly went up, there wasnt any blank 0.0 readings etc.

My problem seems to happy randomily. Today it only splutter / hesitated for a few seconds, unlike yesterday when it was very obviously. Im thinking of running some wires from the TPS in to the cabin and reading what is going on.

Im now thinking it could be the MAF. Where is this ?? Is it on the top of the throttlebody ?? Can it be removed without taking the throttle body off ?? I don't have another throttlebody gasket, so don't want to remove it and break it and was hoping I can take off the MAF and clean it. What should the readings be on that ?

I've search Ebay for a throttlebody and some guy wants £60+ for an old one, car looks ruined, 120K miles, so will wait for a newer one.

SBK

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Ideally you need to know what DTC are held on the ECU before looking at sensors. without knowing that you can be testing and swapping parts for nothing.

9. Sbk1972 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,

When I jump the diag plug, I don't get any fault codes on the engine light, i.e. the engine light just stays on. Im assuming that means no fault ?? Or, do I really need to plug the multi pin plug into the port and use a computer to see ??

SBK

10. Sbk1972 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Bloody cars !!!! Well, I've now replaced plugs, leads, distrubtor, rota arm, cleaned out the EGR hole in the maniflod, cleaned EGR valve, replaced throttlebody sensors .................... and still I have a damn hestitant / misfire when hot, when slowly accelerating through 2 - 3K revs. Infact when hot, pulling out of junctions, slowly accelerating the car judders like its suffering from fuel stravation and then fires back into life.

I really am now loosing hope. I have no engine codes when I bypass the OBD1 connectors, I literally have no f*~!ing idea.

Does this sound like an iffy Oz sensor ?? would this cause this issue ??

I was worried it could be gearbox as every where I've read this automatic transmissions are awful but I have no slipping. I thought it might be the fuel rail pressure issue / fuel evaporating but I only get this when hot driving along, not when I try and start it.

Gents, Im stuck. If I don't sort this then I will sell the f&*^%$$$ thing

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I'll have a reread of this thread from the beginning tonight and see what has been tried and what has not.

12. Sbk1972 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Cheers Speedy. Im so fed up here as I've replaced everything electric. Car is okay to start with, let it get warm or on a steady run which warms it up anyway, put my foot down ( not too hard ) but nothing seems to happen then it suddenly burst into life. Similar to like a turbo coming on boost, or crappy fuel being sucked up and then clearing away.

When hot, on tickover, you can notice a very sutle misfire too.

Im now looking / research if it could be an O2 sensor causing it to missfire. Or if the CAT is blocked, or the ignition coil module. The painful side of this is that I have no service light / diag codes, nothing is coming up. Reading the sites this could be the ignition coil module but those sites are from the US and US cars have an individual coil per cylinder.

So, it could be coil module, o2 sensors, valves - need to do a compression test.

Failing all this, I will sell it. Shame as I do like the car and would prefer to get it sorted. Only done 52K :-(

SBK

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Do you have a flashlube system installed ?

You can test the O2 sensor with a voltmeter.

It could also be a fuel pump issue.

14. Sbk1972 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,
    yep I use flashbulbs. I paid 1700 for my lpg conversion ad I wanted the best one. I plan to keep the car well over the 100k miles so got the digital flash lube system.

im tempted to disconnect the front O2 sensor and running it on a default map to see if that sorts it.

also, I'm using the little blue diag wire, I.e. I put a paper click across the poles. Is this the same method a honda dealer will use ? It's obd1 and there are no codes coming up. Was wondering if Hondas method of checking my might show thing more in depth.

im wondering if the cat is blocked ? I don't know. Sbk

15. hughezee Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Stuart Staffordshire
    Hi there, does this issue feel like the engine wants to go but like something holding it back or are you avoiding completely stopping at junction because when you stop you can plant your foot almost count to 3 and the car suddenly comes to life or does it respectively creep off and then pick up? I would happily take a look for FREE as I've resolved issues that sounded like this before "Not Transmission Related" and I have a very extensive parts bin :Wink: and I could report my findings back here to share with the club.:Hey: