Engine & Gearbox 2000 Honda Accord Coupe - V6 - Questions

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Sbk1972, Sunday 17th Mar, 2013.

1. Sbk1972 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all,Im a new owner of a coupe v6 2000. I have a few questions and wonder if anyone can help / advise.1) At night when the lights are on, does your clock / odometer light up ?? My speedo / rev counter lights up, but the part where I can normally see the mileage / trip miles is dark and difficult to see. I reckon this should be lit up, as like my time clock which is also dark.2) I have 3 sets of keys, but only one alarm fob. Can these still be brought from Honda / ebay ?? If so are they easy to program to the car ?Car is a 2000 model, but only done 41K. Anyone know where I can get service manual advising what should be done at different miles ?? Or a page suggestion oil grades/ plugs / filters ?? Does this car engine have a belt of chain ??Tremendous car, I love it :Smile:SBK

2. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes the mileage display should be lit up, it will be a blown bulb, AFAIK they are the click in bulbs so should be easy to replace, I know on the standard 6th Generation you can buy a fob off ebay and reprogram it to your car, I know this as I looked into it myself as I only have 1 fob. On the Opie oil website I will advise you which grade of oil to use, and they sell complete service kits. And AFAIK the V6 has a timing belt

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    What's the chassis code on your car dude?

4. Sbk1972 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Can I buy these bulbs in Halfords ?? Anyone got a pic ??

Should the clock light up too ??

I will find the VIN number to night, what will you be able to tell from it ??

I looked on ebay for Honda fobs, and nearly all seem to be just the case. I want to whole fob :Smile:

Im using the car for work, and am hoping the MPG doesnt kill me. What do you v6 owners see in regards to MPG ?

SBK

5. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

6. Sbk1972 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

Thanks for all your replies. I range up Honda today to find out prices, good god !!! £5 per a bulb !!! I've managed to replace the one in the dash, as I have a spare Mr2 speedo and used one of the bulbs from there.

I tried to remove the console, to get to the clock. Does anyone know how to remove it ?? There are two screws at the bottom of the console, underneath, but there weems to be one behind the clock. Does the front of the clock come off, then you can see the screw ?? Its all very tight and I don't want to break anything, so if anyone has removed this before if they could let me know.

:Smile:

SBK

7. Roylewaa Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I don't know how different the coupe trim is from the standard 6th Generation, however on the 6th Generation there is 3 screws at the top of the binnacle surround, and 1 screw behind the headlight level switch, with the rest of it held on with those awful steel clips

8. Sbk1972 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

I sorted it. I saw a youtube example of how to remove the clock. Using a credit card, push it down between bottom of the clock / top of the A/C and this releases two metal clips, it then slides out :Smile: THe bulb is a tny little thing and looks Honda only, so will order one today.

What sort of MPG do you V6 owners see ?? I've been driving slowly and I reckon I will see 150 for half a tank. What about you guys ?

SBK

9. h.aire Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello buddy, you'll easily see around 24-26 round town if you drive it like a pensioner but throttle it & you will not see more than 18mpg, which may be a hefty price to pay for that purr'ing V6 now & then, depending on your wallet! On the motorway you should get around 34 to 36 if you don't use cruise control. I'd recommend using it though, as you'll easily return around 38-42 depending on the condition of your engine. The V6s are far more economical at around 75/80 than they are driving at 55/60. :Smile:

10. jaywood Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Brands
    I scrape 300 miles out of my V6 on one tank but watch out as the needle moves faster when its showing less than half.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I can get that on my on my 2.4 on a lucky week but that is heavy foot.

12. jaywood Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Brands
    Only managed 220 with a little effort. Alas living in the sticks surrounded by valleys and single lanes doesn't help. Nor does my logic of burning Vmax either.
    More burnt Vmax=cleaner engine :Grin:

13. h.aire Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hmm that's abit low? I've managed 340 around town. Engine & transmission condition are big factors though on these V6s. Fresh service every 5/6k miles will really help your MPG figures. Rotary air control valves (Honda's term for IACV on a J30) are prone to clogging up in our engines, as well as the EGR passages. Keep em clean & you'll see great figures!

Last edited: Friday 10th May, 2013
  14. jaywood Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Brands
    Full history on mine with still under 40,000 its had plenty of oil and a few flushes with the 2 previous owners. Having to stop/start going through the lanes in valleys really screws MPG. Why there isn't an understanding of allowing right of way to vehicles coming uphill on a single lane is beyond me.

15. h.aire Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nice! There really aren't that many around with low miles, lucky few have managed to come across them. haha I understand where you're coming from mate!

16. Sbk1972 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have a 2000 Accord Coupe v6. I brought it with 41K miles and done about 2K now. The best I see is 25 MPG and that is keeping the revs low, 40 mile journeys. I serviced the car too with new plugs, and filters.

I love the car, it's so quiet and refined that I've booked it in with my local LPG and have a conversion done. I've ordered a Stage system, on a V6, HUGE tank in the boot, electronic flashlube setup, £1650. Not the cheapest / not the dearest, but I do 15/18K a year so will get the cost back in a year. I plan to drive it too 100K then sell it. :Smile:

SBK

17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Which kit will they be installing SBK ?

18. Sbk1972 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Some system called Stag ?? I've also got them to install an electronic flash lube system. Once I get it done will show you pics. What it means is that Im now financially committed to the car for a good year plus, but its lovely so don't mind.

SBK

19. jaywood Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Brands
    Sounds like a good idea Sbk.
    The suspension set up is a bit of a pigs ear up-front and the major parts (of which there are many) are not cheap even with Holdcroft Honda knocking a few quid off, so kep your eyes peeled. The roads around me (lanes) are full of holes.

MPG isn't high on my list and I'm thinking of stroking mine by 200 odd cc's and having a tinker. May need a couple of spare slushboxes first.

20. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    SBK, have you already had the Stag system installed ? I'm actually thinking for £1650 for a Stag system is pretty pricey.

You can buy a 6 cylinder Stag front end kit for around £300. It's a bog standard kit nothing special. For £1650 I'd be expecting a top end kit to installed.