Electrical & Lights 2001 6th Generation (1999 to 2002) Battery dimensions

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by n3utr1n0, Friday 17th Jan, 2014.

1. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    Hello to everyone,

I am looking on changing my battery on my 6th Generation accord. I don t really care to much about the brand , BUT I would really like to know the dimensions of the battery that I can fit. On the internet every battery has different dimensions and I have no Idea witch one I should buy. I cannot measure the old battery as the car is parked in a multi storey parking lot some time away from my house. Also how many amps should it have? and how many cca?

is it a 063 type? a 027? a 075? a 096?.... or what type is it?

is this one ok?
    Powerline 063 Honda Accord Battery 2.0 011994 Car Battery | eBay
    or this one?
    Honda Accord Battery 2.0 2.2 01/1992- Size 063 Car Battery | eBay

my car is a 2.0 litre SE executive saloon from 2001.

thank you

Last edited: Friday 17th Jan, 2014
  2. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Sorry haven't measured the dimensions either, have you thought of buying one from Holdcroft? It will be more expensive than those ebay ones but it will be the correct one in power and size for the car.

3. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I had the same bloody problem when I was buying a battery for my 6th Generation - halfords say HB013, Europarts say 063 etc.

The battery you need is 027. Do not trust these online checking systems.

HH batteries are good value at around £50 I believe. I went for a Bosch S5 due to me needing it quickly, plus it has a higher Ah and CCA which always helps.

4. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    so a 063 would not fit? or it s not the right amps and cca? I am really keen on this... but would it be ok?
    Honda Accord Battery 2.0 2.2 01/1992- Size 063 Car Battery | eBay

5. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well I'm no expert by any means but the 44Ah rating of that battery is a lot lower than the battery I replaced which was 56Ah. Furthermore the ebay battery has 60 CCA less so starting will be harder. Plus the dimensions are completely different. I think to be on the safe side buy a 027 battery. Also buy a known respected brand name - sure the battery you listed has a 4 year guarantee but who is actually gonna accept your claim and replace it. HH is probably your best and cheapest bet for a battery, otherwise go for the Bosch S3 below:

Bosch S3 Car Battery Type 013 / 027 56Ah 480cca Sealed 3 Year Wty 556 400 048 | eBay

6. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    I really don t think my car is worth 50 pounds.

I will ask an electrician to see if the 30 pound one will last me one or 2 years... that is all I want. I know for a fact that 44 ah is not enough in the country I come from (harsh winters with -25 centigrade) but I hope that in the mild british weather it will be no problem...

7. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ah - this relates to the capacity of the battery
    CCA - power to start the car

The bare minimum you need is 480 CCA and 56 Ah according to Halfords, make of that what you will.

Your car is worth in the least £500 mate... even £250 scrap. Feel free to ask an electrician but with car batteries if you're buying cheap then you will end up buying twice.

Also think about the alternatives, name a car as legendarily reliable as the 6th Generation for less than a grand, even at 1.5k it will be tough

8. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    I appologise about my english... I meant the car is not 50 pounds to spend on it.... not the value of the car. The car is worth about 1 grand or 900 pounds...

9. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Don't worry its my fault for not understanding. It is up to you but I think it is worth it. Just make sure you buy a 027 battery.

10. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    from what I see on the net 027 and 075 are kinda the same... very small variations in size... also the 075 ones are 60 ah with 600 cca...
    I will actually measure the damn space tomorrow to see if I can fit a 075 because I found 075 batts for 40 quid.

11. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yeah that's worth a try I guess, remember that returning car batteries is very expensive due to their weight so your £40 will suddenly become £55.

12. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    will check it tom. if it fits a 074 then I found ones for around 40 pounds with 55 ah or 60 ah.

- - - Updated - - -

bought a second hand battery for 20 quid. the car started. If it lasts me one year then it s great for 20 pounds...

It s a Lion Heavy duty 075 battery.

But this is the interesting part:
    the old battery has a date on it from 1999....

13. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

What brand was the old battery because 15 yrs is fantastic, and somewhat unbelievable?

Either way Lion brand is europarts own brand as far as I know, they cost £39 so £20 is alright,

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    15 years is really good for a battery fella. I have seen some cars do this but not all

15. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    It s a Delphi brand... that s why I thing it s the original one...

The thing is that the battery is not dead , as the magic eye shows that it s only NOT charged... But I have not used the car for 3 weeks and it went dead... so I think it s not going to last long anyway...
    IMG_20140118_132624.

- - - Updated - - -

I have never in my life seen a battery last for this amount of time. EVER.
    The most I have seen a battery work is for 6 years...
    I had no idea that batteries could work for more than 6 7 years... but this is mainly because i m from Eastern Europe where winters are very harsh (-25 centigrade on average)...

16. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I just replaced the same Delphi last October, it was in the car when I got it in 2005. Assuming it was original in 2002 then it lasted 11yrs.

The charge indicator on mine stopped showing in 2008, but it hung on in there for another 5 years until if failed to start two days in a row, then I replaced it.

17. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    I think my Delphi battery was manufactured in 1999 and placed in the car in the factory in 2002. so the battery was 2 3 years old but still new...

Either way , max respect for Delphi , very good batteries. I would have never expected a battery to last more than 6 7 years... I did not even know it was physically possible.

Chunkylover53 likes this.
  18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just shows you they don't make batteries like they used to.. on my 7th Generation Accord the original battery died in 3 years and 1 month mind you it s was a 26Amps one .. underspecd for the car replaces with a Yuasa professional 42amps and I think this may be on it last leg too but I have detected a parasitic drain from the HFT module which I am still investigating.

HFT modules retail for £1800 quid :Blink:

19. n3utr1n0 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    Premier 12 V - 65 Ah

This is the battery that I would like to buy... I trust this brand like no other. but cannot buy in the uk... as they don t sell..
    Think they sell it in France though... but it s not worth the shipping...

My dad had one of these from this company and the car started for 6 years no problems. And keep in mind that in Romania , where he lives in the winter times it can get as low as -30 with an average of -15 in the winter. This I think it s respectable.
    He also had a Varta and a Bosch and none of these lasted for more than 3 years each...

Last edited: Sunday 19th Jan, 2014
  20. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Can you get the module out? I read on a US site that cracked solder joints led to issues (not necessarily current draw) but might be worth a look. Wouldn't be the first thing on Hondas with those solders causing issues, main/fuel relay being another one.