General 2001 Accord Engine Management Light

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by joeuk41, Tuesday 9th Jun, 2015.

1. joeuk41 New Member Getting Started

Can anyone help I have a uk 2001 Honda Accord Vtech Autonatic. Today the car drove off and wouldn't kick down into gear. I pulled over and restarted and drives normally, however, the engine management light has come on.....any advice please?

2. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I'm pretty sure that your car is fitted with an OBD2 diagnostic port (under a fold of the carpet in the passenger footwell). You really need to get it connected up to an OBD2 code reader to see what diagnostic trouble code (DTC) has been stored... anything else would be guesswork. You can buy these code readers fairly cheaply from ebay or Amazon... the ELM327 model is particularly popular.

Welcome to HK.

3. joeuk41 New Member Getting Started

Hi thanks.....just seen a small leak underneath the car someone said it could be transmission fluid leak

4. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Has the transmission become low on fluid?

I'd still get the stored DTC read before deciding how to repair it.

5. joeuk41 New Member Getting Started

Not sure going to check it tomorrow morning when the engine is cold

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Engine management light won't come on for auto transmission fluid low.

Get the code read, let's see what it is.

Also auto transmission is best checked warm see this thread for how to check the level In-Depth - How to Accurately manage ATF levels

7. joeuk41 New Member Getting Started

Hi....well I let it warm up and drove smoothly but I will get the car read by the aa. See what comes up....I checked the auto fluid and is good but there was a couple of spots underneath and I looked under the car and it looks a little wet exactly where the auto transmission box is

8. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Condensation from the aircon?