Engine & Gearbox 2003 2.0 i-VTEC Accord Struggles to drive from start

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by hsyasin, Wednesday 16th Oct, 2013.

1. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Hammad Bury St. Edmunds
    Hey all, I really need some expert opinion/advice on this. The thing is, my accord really struggles to roll in 1st gear and now its started to get on my nerves, coz sometimes it stalls if i don't put enough power through, which is a hit and miss coz sometimes i mistakenly put more power inorder to quickly move from a junction and the front wheels start spinning instead of moving forward :Angry:.
    When i bought the car back in Feb, I thought its just coz i switched from a 2.5V6 engine to this 2.0, thats why its not that quick in moving, plus i later found out the reason for it to be struggling was coz rear brake pads were jammed and when I touched the rear wheels they were really hot, so got them changed/greased. But now, I've checked all the wheels again and again, no strange temp on any of them, but still it struggles to move. But once u get it moving slightly, then its all set, even if u put it in 5th gear on 25ish it goes.
    Its just that 1st gear bit thats really annoying.
    Can anyone help me figure out what could be wrong?
    I mean, could a weak cam chain cause this, or clutch or gearbox?:Unknown:

Also, I put new iridium spark plugs in when i bought it and just got valve clearances done couple of months ago.

- - - Updated - - -

:Aghast:not a single reply :Sobbing:

Last edited: Wednesday 16th Oct, 2013
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sorry missed this have you shown this car to anyone else for an opinion?as there are far too many variables to suggest what's going on.

3. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Without driving it it would be hard to answer that question.

4. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

hmm.. No havent had a second opinion from a garage. Afraid to go to a garage, as I just got married :Foolish:and my bank account is down to the floor:Sobbing:, so just want to find out exactly what the problem could be and just get that bit done later if not dangerous.
    Does anyone on here live near me?

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Your symptoms are a little odd, can you explain them more fuller.

Or perhaps do a video.

6. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

doing a video could be a bit tricky while driving, however, I might've found one of the culprit: the cabin filter.
    It was as black as anything and clogged and i did get quite reduced performance when A/C turned on, so just took it out and will get a new one on my way back from eurocarparts, reserved a filter on there called crossland, any good?

Also, one thing just popped into my head, after how many miles should the fuel filter be changed, and is it fairly easy to do?
    and could a really old fuel filter be the cause for reduced low end torque?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, could anyone plz tell me if this is the right sort of fuel filter
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Filter-HONDA-ACCORD-2-03-Saloon-/160630778524?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2566572a9c

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'd really recommend getting a genuine Honda fuel from a Dealer, it's just one of those parts (like the oil filter) which could have expensive consequences if they don't do their job properly due to poor design/construction.

8. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Hi Hsyasin,
    1) a fuel filter on petrol cars can not cause reduced low end torque.
    2) first thing that comes into my mind: an air leak on the intake side (air filter box e.g.)

But as said by others: it can be many other things to. How's idling? Normal? No DTC's?

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Check your EGR valve and Throttle Body condition, and perhaps even the Intake Manifold. I don't know much about the 6th Gens but if any are caked in carbon with reduced flow, it would attribute to the problems you mention.

10. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thanks for ur responses, well I-DSI, idling is prefectly fine, doesn't vibrate or go funny at all.

- - - Updated - - -

How do I check EGR and throttle body condition or intake manifold?
    I mean do I've to open some stuff up to check that?
    Also, I used an engine decoke thingy called powerboost from ecotek a few months ago, would that clear any carbon build up in teh EGR or throttle body or do I've to get a separate EGR and throttle body cleaner?

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Does the car rev normally when stationary ? If it does maybe you have some issue with your gearbox ??

Do a search there are dedicated threads for EGR clean etc

12. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

ok, i'll check that.
    but i suspect it does rev normal, and the gearbox seems fine, no problems changing gears..

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I still can't get my head round the symptoms ... so your saying you only have a problem with car in first gear. Engine idles and revs fine in all gears apart from first gear :Unknown:

14. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Is there a possibility of it being electrical related with the drive-by-wire throttle?

Also, could the clutch plate spline in the centre of the plate be damaged?

Last edited: Wednesday 23rd Oct, 2013
  15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Yes, Im starting to think it sounds like an issue around the clutch area.

Fly by wire issue would be transparent when stationary and in all gears, will also through a check engine code.

16. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I had a word with our in-house mechanic. The first thing he said was the brakes but I said they had been sorted so he reckoned it's most likely the gear shaft or cogs for 1st gear (something along those lines). Basically he said someone had been ripping the life out of it in first gear.

He asked if the Accord uses the shafts for reverse as it does 1st gear? Does reverse gear do a similar thing?

17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

There is a separate cog on a small shaft for reverse, it doesn't have any synchro rings etc like the other gears.

Check my gearbox thread (link in signature) there maybe a picture of it.

- - - Updated - - -

If first gear was damaged the gearbox would be very noisey.

18. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Could it depend on how damaged it is? I came across an American forum where a guy was having exactly the same problem and he couldn't figure it out. He put it in to the dealer and the eventually just changed the whole transmission (was under warranty) and the problem went away. But they never said what it was that was actually wrong. Wasn't a Honda BTW.

My money is on a transmission problem somewhere, but hopefully not as I'm guessing it's going to be expensive?

19. hsyasin Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Sorry guys, went away for a while.. well really glad for ur expert opinions, keep 'em coming.
    I'll have a look at EGR over the weekend if the weather is good, coz i think that could be a bit clogged, so does CL7 have an EGR valve or just that plate?
    there's another thing that I thought was a bit weired, when I opened the air intake to spray powerboost spray, the engine didn't really breathe alot when revved whereas I remember, when i did the same on my old mitsu, u could see it breathing the hell outa that intake pipe when opened. Is that normal for an accord?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, by struggling to start, I meant, struggles a bit when I put it in 1st gear like, have tried moving the car without putting my foot on the accelerator, and have discovered that I've to be verrrrryyyy slow while lifting the clutch, otherwise it stalls.
    Actually I havent driven another accord before, so don't really know if its my car or just me.:Unknown:

- - - Updated - - -

And no, reverse seems fine.

20. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I believe all K-Series engines have an EGR plate in the same location, under the plastic manifold cover.

Rev limiter mate, you're limited in neutral to 4500rpm. Obviously the wider the throttle body is open, the more flow from the airbox.

Probably need more people to comment on this, I could reverse out of my drive (up a slope) without using the accelerator but 1st is a different story. It's always been a bit of a jerky rolling gear in my car.

Honestly, with reading through the thread - unless you're convinced there's something inhibiting the car from moving when you first feel your clutch bite - 1st gear has never been much of a driveable gear in my CL9 either. Sure, I could slam my foot down and get up to 30 in it, but unless I smoothed the accelerator carefully - it would jerk while picking up speed. It's really just a rolling gear and nothing more. 2nd gear is the one with the range (and smoothness to match).