Suspension, Steering and Brakes 2003 Honda Accord Steering, Tyres and Gearbox

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by negum, Wednesday 9th Oct, 2013.

1. negum Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK
    Hi there!

I've recently bought a pre-facelift 7th Generation (manual, petrol) and think it's great overall however a few niggles/problems I've noticed which I was hoping to get some feedback on:

1. The steering tends to drift to the left, I didn't test it with braking so will try that tomorrow but any ideas what it could be assuming it brakes in a straight line?
    2. Sometimes going from neutral to 1st it is very difficult, as in i really have to force it, same with second but less common. At other times it seems perfectly fine and just slides right in...very odd. Also putting into reverse is equally as difficult nearly every time and it sometimes grinds when doing so...
    3. Sat Nav keeps popping up with a dvd disk error... after a while it seems to just work but takes a few tries and a good 5 minutes... Any suggestions on what this could be? DVD looks fine, has a few scratches, but is there somewhere I can download the latest version just in case it is just an overly scratched disc? :Wink:

Thanks in advance!

Neg

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Re: Steering, Tyres and Gearbox

Hi Negum

1) Could be tracking issue, suspension issue, tyres or accident damage. Start by checking tyres, then tracking and suspension.

2) Sounds like clutch is worn. Or could be just needs gearbox oil change.

3) You need to get your DVD unit refurbed

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland

If it helps, when I got my alignment done he noticed there was an update with the settings for 17" wheels where tighter tolerances could also be used if the standard didn't fix things. I opted for the tighter tolerances and it fixed both pulling and tramlining. Just in case you have the 17" wheels.

4. negum Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK

Thanks for your input guys, really appreciate it. I'm very new to cars in general so don't really know my way around them too well!

1) Yup, I checked the treads, they're seriously worn and both tyres are different make and levels of wear so I think that must be it.
    2) It's had the clutch replaced recently so I don't think it's that but yes a gearbox oil change might fix this... Any suggestions on what kind of oil I need to use? Or shall I just go with whatever the mechanic uses?
    3) What do you mean get it refurbed? Is this a known problem? It's annoying more than anything but something I can live with I guess... after all it does work, just takes a while and comes on eventually :Tongue:

What do you mean tighter tolerances? I do have 17" wheels. If I tell this to the mechanic will he know what to do? I'm going to get my front two tyres replaced at the weekend so would be useful to go in with a bit of knowledge before hand so I know they're not just making anything up!

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Always replace transmission fluid with Genuine Honda MTF fluid. Contact Hold Croft Honda, tell them your an AOC member, you'll get an club discount and free postage. That'll work out safe price as some cheap fluid you may get from your local motor factor. You'll need three 1 litre bottle of MTF, gearbox capacity is 2.2.

Also at the same time, have the clutch fluid replaced and bled of air. This may also help.

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland

I don't know the values but he was looking at his computer (could have been something like AutoData) and he said that he could see a revision or update which said if the customer has 17" and the standard alignment settings don't solve tramlining then there were a tighter set of tolerances which could be safely used. I think I may have posted more detail on this on these forums in the past and I'll try and dig it out.

7. negum Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

UK

I'll have to go in and ask about this I think!
    Got new front tyres and tracking done but it still pulls to the left, admittedly less than it did before the tracking was re-done but still very noticeable.

Could it be anything else?

Thanks for the tip! :Thumbup: Do you know how much it would be roughly?
    Stupid question but is it something that I would be able to do myself? Or would I have to drain it out first because usually it's just topping it up through the cap with the dipstick under the bonnet right?:Blushing:

Last edited: Saturday 12th Oct, 2013
  8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Last edited by a moderator: Monday 1st Sep, 2014