Tyres & Wheels 2004 Accord alloys

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by quartertofive, Friday 20th Jan, 2012.

1. quartertofive New Member Getting Started

This is my first post so hi all!

I have just bought 2004 Accord diesel recently.
    It came up at service that one of the alloys is slightly cracked so it's being taken care of by some independent engineering company now.

I was wondering if any of know these alloys or the company. Are these worth keeping?

2012-01-20130328.

They are fitted with Achilles ATR Sport 225/45ZR17 94W tyres which are another mystery to me.
    Those might as well be one of top brands but I know little in those areas.

The car is being used solely as a family bus and by my wife to get to work and back.

Currently I'm getting about 44mpg and was wondering if going for 205mmtyres wouldn't improve fuel efficiency?
    What about returning to original size of 16' - how does it impact fuel economy and comfort?

Kind regards

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi @qautertofive welcome to AOC, those alloys are aftermarket alloys and it does not surprise me they have cracked. To be on the safe side you want to get rid of them as revert to genuine alloy wheel or if your budget allows upgrade to a well known alloy manufacture. You may need the Honda lug bolts as those lugs bolts are wrong for the car.

As for fuel efficiency by dropping a tyre size will help on longer journeys but you won't see a massive improvement, the other side to the drop in tyre size is the cost of the tyre will be considerable cheaper.

Last edited: Saturday 24th May, 2014
  3. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Fox alloys are from Halfords ain't they???

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    yes I have seen them there but they are available everywhere really even corner shop stocks them.

5. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

just thinking, it may be cheaper to buy a single wheel rather than have one repaired.

6. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    doubt they are much to buy without even looking

7. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
  8. eternal422 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi quartertofive. I'd be very nervous getting a cracked alloy repaired as to whether it would be strong enough afterwards. The general opinion is that repairing is not a viable option. I'd look for either a single Fox replacement to match or else go for a new set.

I got a great deal on wheels only (swapped my existing tyres onto them) from a guy called Dave Cooling who is just off junc 15 of the m40. Pm me if you'd like details. He had a beautiful Honda NSX in his garage when I went to buy my wheels!

9. discodave Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi m8 Fox Alloys are normally aimed at the budget market and can be found at places like Halfrauds or independent motor factors. The Accord diesel normally returns more MPG's than this, but depends on type of driving! returning to 16's will improve comfort.

Opps, sorry I just realised that people have already posted....lol in future I will need to scroll a little bit further:Aghast: well a least another post count :Grin:

10. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

As per the rest. Get back to standard wheels.

11. itsjimbo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi, my first post - I have 18 inch Civic Type-R wheels on my 2005 2.4 auto tourer, car handles great, they look great - but is that sensible regards fuel costs ? tyre costs are far more expensive but I only do around 8,000 miles a year and tyres last around 2 years (just changing from Bridgestone Potensa to Michelins) your views would be welcome ?
    Love my Honda, last car was a 95 2.2 auto Aerodeck - great car, this one is far better. Thanks

12. ukaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

hey bud,congrats on your recent purchase,you must be over the moon :Smile: ,regarding the alloy bud,get the whole lot changed either to stock alloys, or decent aftermarket ones(new car new wheels :Smile: )i would advise you not to get it repaired,as its unreliable, it might crack again,this time on the motor way at high speeds(could end up fatal) so for safety and viewing pleasure get some new alloys,piece of mind eh!!

13. David Jackson Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

All correct above.
    Never repair cracked wheels; you'll hit a pothole and it will buckle, potentially putting the car out of control.
    Get a set of standard wheels, and throw that lot in the bin.
    Fox are a proper budget brand too - hubcaps look better....