Dealers/Garages 2004 Civic Type-S Cambelt Change in Oxford Area- Recommendations ?

Discussion in 'Dealers, Garages & Body Shops' started by RogerH69, Wednesday 3rd Sep, 2014.

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    I'm getting my 2004 Civic Type-S tomorrow and looking at the maintenance booklet, it does not indicate that the cambelt was changed (it's on 85k miles, with last service 3k miles ago).

Could anyone recommend a good garage around Oxford to take the car to for the cambelt change, as I'd like to get that sorted ASAP to put my mind at ease.

Also, any idea of what the cost would be ?

2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm very surprised that the cambelt hasn't been changed considering that the car is well beyond the 75k/9yr(?) mark. Has the car been serviced by Honda?

3. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

There are a total of 8 service stamps, of which the first 4 or 5 are Honda, and the rest aren't. The last one is 'self serviced' by the previous owner. Hence my concern and wanting to get it done for peace of mind. Dealer I am getting the car from cannot tell me if previous owner replaced the belt or not.

If the belt HAS been changed, but the book just not updated, I'd still rather waste a little a coupla hundred quid on a new belt than a couple of grand on a replacement engine :Smile:

4. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Understood - I would definitely get it changed then. I don't know anybody in Oxford but I got mine done for £400 by a local bloke in SE Lon.

5. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Cheers :Smile:

6. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    @SpeedyGee will correct me here if I'm wrong, but I believe your car has a timing chain and not a belt.

In your area I would definitely recommend Hond-R in Abingdon :Smile:

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    The Type-S would a 2.0 litre K series so therefore chain. The 1.4's and 1.6's are D series engines, therefore have timing belts.

8. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks guys. Looks like I don;t have to fork out £400 quid (phew)

Will still check out Hond R in Abingdon

Btw, how do I link someone's name in a post ?

9. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Sorry for the noob question, but do I still need to get the chain belt changed / checked ?

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Start by typing @ and then as you type their username a list should appear, pick the username from that and they are then "tagged" example :- @RogerH69 :Smile:

Chain doesn't need any maintenance as long as regular oil changes have been done on the car throughout it's history, it should be good for life of car.

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Post a pic of the engine bay when you get her :Smile:

12. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks @SpeedyGee

Picking her up in a couple of hours :party: and will post some pics later today.

DeviateDefiant and SpeedyGee like this.